Dollar Depot or Centralian Dollar?

edited 2014-08-30 15:28:13 in General
Which one do you buy your worthless knockoff toys from?

Comments

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I only buy from ninety-nine-cent stores.  I mean, why would you pay the extra cent?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Well, if they're Centralian pennies, they have my face on 'em

So that's a pretty good reason
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I hear that Amberco Consumer Products is already at work licensing shitty, weird-looking Hanna-Barbera toys destined for these places
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    > implying anything at Dollar Depot is properly licensed
    Well maybe there's some hipster manufacturers in China who want to produce Quick Draw and Baba Looey toys based on their appearance in "City-E-Scape" or something!
    I smiled.

(Are they especially off-model in "City-E-Scape" or something?)
    No, they're made to look more "realistic":

• edited 2014-08-30 21:32:22

that accent is so cringeworthy yikes
    I think it's supposed to sound especially fake on purpose
    If you want to hear Daws Butler's original Baba Looey voice (he also voiced Quick Draw), here it is:

• that's

betterish
    Baba Looey as a character's kind of a sticky wicket for me

There's nothing especially racist about his portrayal as the brains of the operation (by all accounts, he and Quick Draw were effectively created by former Warner Bros. writer Michael Maltese, and they have the same dynamic as Daffy and Porky anyway), but sometimes there's the occasional iffy thing like him spouting faux-Spanish strings of implied profanities when he gets hurt.
    also, like many of Daws's H-B voices, Baba Looey's was based on a contemporary pop cultural figure, this one being Desi Arnaz

Quick Draw's started off as a combination of bravado and Daws's idea of bad acting (his inflection is all over the place in the earliest shorts), but it evened out later.
  • remember that weird faux-music video Calexico (for "Minas de Cobre / For Better Metal") did with the paper animated El Kabong short

that was weird
    "El Kabong Rides Again"? It's probably my favorite CN Shortie
  • is this where the name "elkabong" comes from?

i only know that name from the username of a troper
    Yeah, El Kabong was Quick Draw McGraw's Zorro-parodying alter ego

He'd hit bad guys over the head with his guitar
  • El Kabong is the b-short to Quickdraw McGraw.

El Kabong is his Zorro-parodying secret identity.
    El Kabong wasn't a B-short; The Quick Draw McGraw Show had three segments: Quick Draw McGraw, Snooper and Blabber, and Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy. Though I doubt it's aired in this form in the U.S. in years...
  • the funny thing is that i pronounced that as "elkabong", and parsed it as "elka" + "bong".
  • Anonus said:

El Kabong wasn't a B-short; The Quick Draw McGraw Show had three segments: Quick Draw McGraw, Snooper and Blabber, and Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy. Though I doubt it's aired in this form in the U.S. in years...

You know what I mean tho
    yes