Smash Bros. Thread [SPOILERS]

LWLW
edited 2014-09-13 21:39:11 in General Media
This is a thread about Smash Bros. for the discussion of Smash Bros. Feel free to get hyped about the new games here or talk about any of the older games in the series.

Also, it is okay to be bad (or good) at Smash Bros and it is okay to like to play with items on or with them off.

To start things off: for those of you planning on picking up Smash Bros. for 3DS, what new character(s) do you want to try out first?

Comments

• SSB4 makes me wish I kept up with Nintendo's devices these days.

If I did have such a device, I'd definitely be with Little Mac
  • Same here; I don't have Nintendo's newer consoles but I wouldn't mind trying SSB4 out.

I'd try playing with Pac-Man or the Mii variants.

also Rayman for SSB5 or bust
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Items are fine, they're part of the game. Some items may be too cheap and may be disqualified. But no items? Might as well play an actual fighting game.

Also I would like to play Megaman, Lucina, and Palutena.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Whilst I don't have a WiiU, and am iffy about playing a fighting game on the 3DS, Robin, Lucina, and Rosalina.
  • I need Smash 4 to come out right now. 

I really like the redesigned Pit--the original was good enough, but his moves have a lot more variety now (since they're all taken from Uprising). I got to play as him at the Best Buy demo thing a while ago, as well as Mega Man and Greninja, who I didn't really like, although maybe that's because I played him on the 3DS version. Rosalina is probably my favorite Mario character right now though, so I can't wait to try her out.

Aside from that, I hope they rebalanced Sonic--I was so excited for him in Brawl but he turned out pretty underwhelming, mostly because he just couldn't finish people.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I used to be sort of ok at Melee

haven't played anything after that

yntkt
  • Tre said:

also Rayman for SSB5 or bust
    He got his own trophy, it could still happen
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    I played the original way way back when at my friend's house all the time.
    Critical Nintendo console ownership failure has resulted in my not really playing any since then, but now it's coming out on 3DS (2DS, same diff), I can't wait to have another go at it!

Before the new ones (most of them are new to me really), I'll probably end up playing the characters I played a lot back then (Luigi and Samus mainly), so I can discover exactly how badly I truly am at the game
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-08-11 14:51:40

Items are fine, they're part of the game. Some items may be too cheap and may be disqualified. But no items? Might as well play an actual fighting game.

I think you have a valid point; I tend to agree that its items are part of what makes Smash unique. Then again, I feel like no items gameplay can be fun too. I am glad that Sakurai and company have been adding some things to the game to satisfy people who prefer no items/final destination type matches (e.g., final destination versions of other stages, "For Glory" mode online), without changing the core gameplay of Smash itself.
    Haven said:

I really like the redesigned Pit--the original was good enough, but his moves have a lot more variety now (since they're all taken from Uprising). I got to play as him at the Best Buy demo thing a while ago, as well as Mega Man and Greninja, who I didn't really like, although maybe that's because I played him on the 3DS version. Rosalina is probably my favorite Mario character right now though, so I can't wait to try her out.

How was your experience with the Best Buy Smash Fest demo? I considered going to one of the weekend ones nearby, but I was not sure if it would be worth it to go there super early and wait in line to play a few minutes of Smash 4. That may have not been the best decision though, since it was mostly just based on reading a few people's accounts of going to Smash Fests.

To answer the OP's question, I am looking forward to trying out Rosalina and the Villager. Odds are good that I will mostly be playing Olimar like in Brawl, but I will be interested to see how both the new and old characters control this time around.
    Playing with my friends, we'd either play with no items or, more often, nothing but the most annoying items, for maximum drama. Or something.
  • LW said:

How was your experience with the Best Buy Smash Fest demo? I considered going to one of the weekend ones nearby, but I was not sure if it would be worth it to go there super early and wait in line to play a few minutes of Smash 4. That may have not been the best decision though, since it was mostly just based on reading a few people's accounts of going to Smash Fests.

I had fun, but it was a pretty long wait for a short period of time. They also gave out buttons and stickers and stuff, and some coupons that were a pretty good deal (even if I didn't end up using them). I thought it was worth it, but I've always been pretty cavalier with my free time.

The game definitely looked beautiful, though.
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-08-13 16:31:24

Haven said:

LW said:

I had fun, but it was a pretty long wait for a short period of time. They also gave out buttons and stickers and stuff, and some coupons that were a pretty good deal (even if I didn't end up using them). I thought it was worth it, but I've always been pretty cavalier with my free time.

The game definitely looked beautiful, though.
    Well, given that it looks like it is going to be a while before demos of the game (especially the Wii U) version are available at retailers, going to that that Smash Fest thing might have been a good idea. I have heard some talk about the possibility of an eshop demo for the 3DS version, but that may just be wishful thinking.

On a sort of related note, Meta Knight's reveal today brings the confirmed fighting roster to 37 by my count, if you consider the Mii Fighters to be one character. That is pretty close to Brawl's roster size, though there are still a number of notable veteran fighters who have not yet been named (e.g., Wario, Ganondorf, Ness and/or Lucas, Mr. Game & Watch).

Sakurai also implied that there are at least a couple more newcomer reveal trailers coming up. Do you think we are going to see one of those trailers come out in the next couple of weeks? If so, what newcomer(s) do you expect or hope to see revealed?
    Given the fact there are newcomers still to come, as well as several veterans who I'd be very surprised to see left out of the final game, I'd think the final roster will probably be a fair bit larger.

It'd be interesting to see Waluigi announced with Wario, although that might be unlikely
  • Well, the game's coming out in Japan in a month, so if there are any more newcomer trailers I'd assume they'd be released before then. I'd love to see Gengar or even a more unusual Pokemon--if they choose to complete the starter trifecta with a Pokemon new to Smash, they have a lot of weird choices to go with. Aside from that, Geno  from Super Mario RPG would be great but that's probably never gonna happen. 

Just as long as they don't flood the roster with babies a la Mario Kart, it's all good.

Huh, I thought G&W got released during the Pac-Man update

He showed up at the end, but I don't know if that counts as a confirmation per se.
  • All I want

really truly want

is a Belmont

then I can die happy
  • AND if we're going completely batshit pie in the sky Sora'd be cool too.
  • edited 2014-08-13 21:39:41
    I happened to think of Sora from, well, Sora, when you said that.

As in, this character:

Though I presume you mean the Sora from Kingdom Hearts.
  • Kex is 99% about that KH life, so yeah, that Sora.

I kind of want to have someone from Valve show up, like Freeman or one of the mercs from TF2. I have no idea how it would work mechanically for the TF2 characters (and I've tried), but it feels...right.
  • That just reminds me of this video:

• LWLW
    edited 2014-08-14 14:44:30

Given the fact there are newcomers still to come, as well as several veterans who I'd be very surprised to see left out of the final game, I'd think the final roster will probably be a fair bit larger.

It'd be interesting to see Waluigi announced with Wario, although that might be unlikely

I tend to agree with you about the roster size. 50 does not seem out of the realm of possibility to me, but I wonder if a bunch of characters are going to be revealed now that the game's Japanese release date is so close. I would be sort of surprised if Sakurai and company mentioned any cut characters though, so we may not find out about them until the game is actually released.

I would have liked to see Waluigi too. Unfortunately, he was confirmed as an assist trophy a while back, so it looks like that is no longer a possible newcomer.
    Haven said:

Well, the game's coming out in Japan in a month, so if there are any more newcomer trailers I'd assume they'd be released before then. I'd love to see Gengar or even a more unusual Pokemon--if they choose to complete the starter trifecta with a Pokemon new to Smash, they have a lot of weird choices to go with. Aside from that, Geno  from Super Mario RPG would be great but that's probably never gonna happen. 

Just as long as they don't flood the roster with babies a la Mario Kart, it's all good.
    Honestly, if there have to be clones, I think it would be pretty hilarious if half of them were baby versions of characters. That said, I agree with you about original characters being ideal.

Do you think Mewtwo will come back? It does have two mega evolutions now, either one of which could work as a final smash I guess.
    Haven said:

Huh, I thought G&W got released during the Pac-Man update

He showed up at the end, but I don't know if that counts as a confirmation per se.
    Yeah, I am not sure if it is worth considering Mr. Game & Watch a confirmed character or not. On one hand, I guess he probably would not be shown he was not playable. On the other hand, I have no idea why Sakurai and company do what they do a good bit of the time (see hinting at Ridley being a stage hazard, but never showing him). Maybe G&W was not added to the main site yet because he is an unlockable character. Time will tell, I suppose.
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-08-29 23:43:28

Well, Shulk was confirmed today, so that puts the confirmed roster count at 38. 
    Spoiler:

Some people spotted Ganondorf in an official trailer too though I imagine most people expected he would be back anyway.

In other news, there was also a super secret closed door Smash Bros. conference for members of the press at PAX Prime tonight. Apparently, press people cannot divulge any information from that closed door conference until the game's Japanese release date on 9/13, so rumor has it that they revealed something pretty big there.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-08-30 01:26:20
    I tried Brawl again last night.

It was terrible and embarrassing. I got my ass handed to me by my brother and cousin like six or seven times, but it was still kinda fun (and they'd had the benefit of familiarity-- I hadn't played in years, but for them it was only a matter of weeks).

I'd imagine I'd like it better if I hadn't learned PSASBR first, though unlike most of the games I get embarrassed in, I would be willing to try again if only to see if I could improve at all.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I thought "Shulk" was referring to She-Hulk. Which is bewildering.
  • Y'know what they could do?

Program in a set of Smash moves for each pokémon.

or at least for every pokémon move.

let you link your pokémon game and save file => use your pokémon team as pokémon trainer.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    They could do that and have a 20 times longer development time, yes
    who is Shulk
  • I think the Namco Pokémon fighting game exists partially as a way of mitigating the desire for EVERY POKEYMAN EVER in Smash.

who is Shulk

She is commonly named She Hulk, she's Hulk's cousin. Her comics are less grimdark serious and more fanservice antics. Unlike Hulk, who only transforms when he's pissed, she can transform at will. She's also a lawyer.

Here's the cover of her first appearance
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Or, in this case, he is the main character of the Wii RPG Xenoblade.
    FU! FU! FU!

You ruined my ebin trolling :^(
    But I bet Imi likes Marvel Shulk more than Xenoblade Shulk
  • edited 2014-08-30 22:11:26
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Not familiar with Xenoblade at all. Dude looks like a standard Sword-Wielding JRPG Protagonist.

As for She-Hulk, basically a female (and therefore less serious and more sexy) version of Hulk, eh? Comic books.
    Single Female Lawyer! Fighting for her client! Wearing sexy miniskirts, and being self-reliant!

Single Female Lawyer! Having lots of sex...
  • Apparently She-Hulk is actually, like, REALLY good. Would link Moviebob's video, but I'm at work and using my (not smart) phone.
    As in the most recent comic? I've heard good things about it, yeah.
  • No, just like in general a very good run of comics.
    Oh! Well yeah, She-Hulk's been in that place where she's not popular enough that people feel the need to shake things up, popular enough to keep popping up, and has a profession that takes her to all kinds of interesting story places.
  • Phoenix Wright vs. She-Hulk
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-09-12 23:47:35

It looks like we now know the final roster for Smash 4 now that the 3DS version of the game has been released in Japan.
    Spoiler:

Mario Series (7):
    Mario
    Luigi
    Peach
    Bowser
    Rosalina & Luma
    *Bowser Jr. (Koopalings are alt costumes)
    *Dr. Mario

Yoshi Series (1):
    Yoshi

Wario Series (1):
    *Wario

Game & Watch Series (1):
    *Mr. Game & Watch

Donkey Kong Series (2):
    Donkey Kong
    Diddy Kong

Zelda Series (5):
    Link
    Zelda
    Sheik
    *Ganondorf
    Toon Link

Metroid Series (2):
    Samus
    Zero Suit Samus

Kid Icarus Series (3):
    Pit
    Palutena
    *Dark Pit

Fire Emblem Series (4):
    Marth
    Ike
    Robin
    *Lucina

Kirby Series (3):
    Kirby
    King Dedede
    Meta Knight

Punch-Out!! Series (1):
    Little Mac

Star Fox Series (2):
    Fox
    *Falco

Pokemon Series (5):
    Pikachu
    Charizard
    Lucario
    Greninja
    *Jigglypuff

Duck Hunt Series (1):
    *Duck Hunt Dog

R.O.B. Series (I am not sure what else to call this) (1):
    *R.O.B.

Earthbound/Mother Series (1):
    *Ness

F-Zero Series (1):
    Captain Falcon

Animal Crossing Series (1):
    Villager

Pikmin Series (1):
    Pikmin & Olimar (Alph is an alt costume)

Wii Fit Series (1):
    Wii Fit Trainer

Xenoblade Series (1):
    Shulk

Pac-Man Series (1):
    Pac-Man

Megaman Series (1):
    Megaman

Sonic Series (1):
    Sonic

Mii Series (if it makes sense to call it a series) (1):
    Mii Fighter

That comes to a grand total of 49 characters by more count, though if the three types of Mii Fighters are considered separate characters that number goes up to 51. The rest of this spoiler box is going to be pointless opinion sharing, so feel free to ignore click away if you would like.

My stance on Smash Bros. rosters is usually the more the merrier so I am not really upset about any of the newcomers being in the game.

That said, I also think it makes a lot of sense for main series to be well-represented in the game and I find it weird how little representation Starfox, Metroid, and especially Donkey Kong are getting this time around. Starfox had Wolf cut, Falco's final smash unchanged, and apparently no other representation aside from a new stage in Smash Wii U. Metroid has Pyrosphere in the Wii U version and a couple of new assist trophies, but Ridley is seemingly just a boss in one stage in Smash Wii U despite his popularity among Smash fans.

I am still trying to figure out why the Donkey Kong series was treated how it was. DK has had two (three if you count the 3DS version of Donkey Kong Country Returns) recent games, one of which was quite successful financially. Yet, K. Rool and/or Dixie are nowhere to be found, the series has no assist trophies or new items, and its only stage is one from Melee. Perhaps more things were planned for DK and there simply was not time for them. Whatever the reason may be, I find the lack of DK stuff a little disappointing.

Anywho, I think Bowser Jr. looks like he could be pretty fun to use and I am glad to see Ness (with a new stage) and Olimar returning even if the Ice Climbers are gone. Olimar's Alph alt was a pleasant surprise for me. I cannot say I am wild about Duck Hunt Dog's moveset or final smash (the gun stuff kind of bugs me) though plenty of other people seem to like it so that is good. I am still relatively hyped about the game regardless. It is worth nothing that the Wii U version's stages and new game modes have yet to be revealed, so there is that to consider as well.

Apparently Villager is a fucking beast.

The mene was right
  • Never gonna be over Duck Hunt Dog.

I agree with you about the various series' representation though. Aside from that, perversely enough, I've been thinking about it and I would be happier if Lucina had just flat-out replaced Marth, even if we didn't get anyone else in his place. I suppose it would mean that Awakening was more disproportionately represented, though. (Also, for some reason I thought Fire Emblem had 5 characters...I'm not really sure why, maybe because Chrom was in Robin's trailer too.)
    Lucina is so much better than Marth.
  • Nintendo needs to turn Duck Hunt into a copyright-friendly Banjo Kazooie.
    I love the Duck Hunt Dog, by which I mean I hate that fucker
  • Also, stages. I really hope the WiiU gets at least some of these great 3DS stages, because they look pretty incredible. If nothing else, there needs to be an Uprising stage on WiiU as well, and probably a version of Rainbow Road based on 64.

I just want to know more about the WiiU version in general, besides it looking fantastic. Also, I've been playing the demo and the 3DS controls feel a lot better now than at the best buy demo--maybe Smash Run or Greninja were just wonky, maybe it takes a little getting used to, but either way the option to use the 3DS as a controller for WiiU actually seems like a pretty good idea.
    Let's just hope that since the game is out in Japan already the pics of the day will focus on the Wii U version instead of being 3DSmenufest.

Also some mod should probably put a spoiler warning in the thread's title