The Google-Twitch rumors

edited 2014-08-01 18:39:10 in General
I don't believe them.

VentureBeat cited "sources familiar with the matter" when saying the deal had been agreed to, but neither Google/YouTube nor Twitch had come out to confirm that. I'm starting to think there was never a deal at all.

Comments

• edited 2014-08-02 19:05:53
    Makes me wonder how rumors get started in the first place, really.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Some "anonymous source" tipped MTV off to an "imminent" Disney-Hasbro deal mere days after they struck the Lucasfilm deal. That it caught on proves that nerds know jack shit about business - a company like Disney is not going to strike two multi-billion-dollar deals within days of each other.

The Google-Twitch rumor is two months old and people are willing to take it as solid fact for some reason.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Amazon? I wasn't expecting them, but their push into video has been a bit greater than Google's...

Either way, Twitch was bound to get gobbled up
    Also, just to make sure you know this: The deal hasn't actually been finalized yet. They still need to consummate it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    are you implying twitch and amazon are going to have sex
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    kinky
    Get your brains out of the gutter
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the gutter > business dealings
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-08-25 17:02:43
    Ooooh, they're an interesting buyer

I suppose it makes more sense, too-- Amazon doesn't have a big draw on user-created content right now, but buying Twitch serves as a good entry into the field; Google already has live streaming through YouTube, so it wouldn't be as much of a boon.

brb waiting for the sex tape to leak
    I'll be honest, Twitch seemed a bit too "niche" for Google - they seem to like more general-audience things
  • Well, the only saving grace about this is that IIRC Amazon is somewhat more friendly to copyright-lenient practices, such as offering DRM-free stuff

or maybe it's just that the CEO Jeff Bezos is libertarian

lol, the Pew Research Center political typologies analysis recently eliminated "libertarian" since everyone was basically using it as a cool label and no one agreed what it meant