How do you play your games?

edited 2014-06-30 19:48:24 in General Media
Just curious.  The gaming devices/machines you currently use, and your input hardware if PC.

Me, I currently use a general-use laptop, and play games via keyboard and touchpad -- sometimes mouse, if I have one around, though I forgot to bring one with me to where I am now.  I prefer to play FPSes with mouse, but I don't really play FPSes much anyway.  Everything else I have is something I can take care of with keyboard or touchpad.

Also very occasionally play a GameCube or Wii, and I have an official GC controller for that.  I do also have an NES, SNES, GB, and PS1, though none of them are currently in use.

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I play most of my games on PC. Mostly on keyboard. I own a Wii U, which is dedicated to one game, and two or three forthcoming games. I also own a 3DS, and a Vita. 

I used to own a jailbroken Xbox back in Shanghai.
  • 90% of my gaming is done on my PC or my Vita as a result of a weird shame I've developed toward playing on our consoles (which, to be frank, are dominated a great deal of the time by my dad or brother). I'd chalk it up to the weird taste I've developed-- I'm the only boy of the house who isn't particularly big on Call of Duty, FIFA, FFXIV or Watch_Dogs, so I willfully relegate myself to my room. 

(It feels more natural anyway-- since we set our basement back up after 2011 or so, I've constantly had a nagging feeling that playing down there would interfere with said playing sessions by my brother and dad. My computer fixes that, though my brother then sort of mucks that up by using it instead of the basement consoles; hence why I lament him being on it constantly.)
  • Father shall be swallowed by the son, and brother shall be swallowed by brother.
    As far as hardware is concerned, I have a hacked Wii, a PS2, a Dreamcast and my PC in my room, and the carcass of our Xbox.

The PC is set up to work with PlayStation 3 and 4 controllers, though the 4 is notably easier because the drivers for it don't suck. Out of laziness, though, I've taken mostly to using my $5 keyboard and a wireless Logitech mouse.
  • I do most of my gaming on my PC.  I have all the last-generation consoles, but the TV is generally in use by other people in the house and I tend to not like the peanut gallery comments when I use them.  

I have a gaming laptop hooked to a 27" LED monitor/TV and I use a Unicomp buckling-spring keyboard (battleship strong construction FTW) and a Logitech wired gaming mouse.  The laptop was a good choice when I bought it, because I didn't have room for a desktop PC at the time, but now I wish I had a desktop.  I was in temporary housing when I bought it and didn't have a desk.

I use some ancient but high-quality Yamaha speakers that I inherited when my then-employer (NBC Interactive) shut down.  I also got a hugeass 21" CRT and a nice-for-the-time Dell out of the deal, but those are both long gone to the landfill or recycling system.  The speakers remain.

My gaming's a bit limited anyway.  World of Warcraft (currently on hiatus, because of burnout/boredom), War Thunder, a little World of Tanks, some of various Total War games, a bit of Civ V here and there.  I tend to get deep into games rather than broad.
  • I've owned a GBA, a PS2, and a Wii, in that order. Nowadays, since lugging a TV to school didn't seem proper and I don't want to buy a new-fangled DS or PSP, everything's on Steam.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Got a whole array of consoles I'm too lazy to list out here, and a PC (using KB&M). (Well, laptop, which is sadly on its way out.)

Although most of my gaming time nowadays is dominated by FFXIV anyway, so it's mostly just PC.
  • How commonly used are controllers for PC?  Or do most PC gamers tend to use keyboard and/or mouse (depending on the game)?

Alternatively, do PC gamers more typically play platformers with keyboard or with controller?
  • I think it depends on the demographic.

I definitely use my RockCandy controller whenever I can with my laptop.
    KB&M is generally more common for stuff like strategy games and FPSes. Most PC gamers I know use controllers for stuff like action games and platformers.
  • I used to use my keyboard for platformers and in retrospect I wonder what on earth was wrong with me.
  • edited 2014-06-30 22:05:05
    I guess I'm just curious whether it's unusual that I like using keyboard for platformers.  Though every time I pick up a controller these days it feels slightly awkward...or maybe I guess I just haven't used them much for many years now?

The only thing I can't do with keyboard is fighting-game-style moves that involve things like down->right->up swirls and such, and I don't play fighting games so I rarely run into them.  But I definitely prefer keyboard for platformers...
  • from what i've seen most people who play games on the PC use controllers, depending on the game of course.

some games are designed with a controller in mind, and playing them with a keyboard is significantly more difficult

i for one seem to be incapable of any sort of platforming via keyboard for some reason...
    Apparently quite a lot of PC players use controllers for FFXIV, which seems impractical to me, but then again, that might just be because I play a healer.
  • I used to use my keyboard for platformers and in retrospect I wonder what on earth was wrong with me.

I prefer controllers for platformers but I'm not bothered by using a keyboard and mouse (which I've done for Rayman Origins, Tiny & Big and, most recently, BattleBlock Theater).

Most 3D platformers kind of make controllers a near necessity, though. Rayman 2 is damn near unplayable without one.
  • I don't play the kind of games that need controllers, except for flightsims (currently lacking a good one for that, though).
  • Apparently quite a lot of PC players use controllers for FFXIV, which seems impractical to me, but then again, that might just be because I play a healer.

Meanwhile, my dad uses a weird combo of a keyboard and a controller.

It might be since the controller layout is actually pretty nicely done-- I don't know if it's the same across platforms, but the PS3/4 versions have a clever system that maps each spell/action/etc. to one face/D-pad button. I've used it, and to my surprise, I got the hang of it pretty fast.
  • edited 2014-06-30 22:15:56
    Another question: for your PC gaming, do you usually have a dedicated time/place to play your games, or is it just "whenever/wherever I feel like it"?

Possibly related: do you have a dedicated gaming PC or other dedicated hardware (such as a controller or a monitor setup), or do you just bring your games everywhere with you on a laptop?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I have only one game-playing device, which is my PC.

I use a controller (a Sega Genesis one with USB adapter) because I am literally incapable of playing anything with a keyboard.

I play stuff whenever I feel like it
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-06-30 22:26:27
    Whenever, more or less. 

Since I don't get TV in my room anymore (apparently the Time Warner Cable internet equipment screws with the DirecTV boxes -eye roll-) I use my television as a monitor for my gaming PC, which was built for me as a gift by one of my two best friends in the universe. I'm currently on the hunt for a good controller to use permanently, since the two I own have bad wires and I'm stuck borrowing the Sony ones from downstairs.

Occasionally, in the off chance that a game will run on our rinky-dink Compaq HP laptop, I might play it on there a bit (I managed to finish Rayman Origins on it), but otherwise, all of my portable gaming is either on my Kindle or my Vita.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Just curious.  The gaming devices/machines you currently use, and your input hardware if PC.

Me, I currently use a general-use laptop, and play games via keyboard and touchpad -- sometimes mouse, if I have one around, though I forgot to bring one with me to where I am now.  I prefer to play FPSes with mouse, but I don't really play FPSes much anyway.  Everything else I have is something I can take care of with keyboard or touchpad.

Also very occasionally play a GameCube or Wii, and I have an official GC controller for that.  I do also have an NES, SNES, GB, and PS1, though none of them are currently in use.

PC, generally. I'll sporadically boot up older games with my SP or DS. I'll probably be using my 3DS more in the future, too, since I like more than just Pokémon. Never use my Wii, though I have a few group games that would be fun with, well, a group.

How commonly used are controllers for PC?  Or do most PC gamers tend to use keyboard and/or mouse (depending on the game)?

Alternatively, do PC gamers more typically play platformers with keyboard or with controller?

I never use controllers, and see no point in making generalizations one way or the other (I also don't really care).

Another question: for your PC gaming, do you usually have a dedicated time/place to play your games, or is it just "whenever/wherever I feel like it"?

Possibly related: do you have a dedicated gaming PC or other dedicated hardware (such as a controller or a monitor setup), or do you just bring your games everywhere with you on a laptop?

Working on making a dedicated time, but that will have to wait until I have a more concrete daily schedule overall. As it is now, I'm still having trouble with just sleeping, so that somewhat throws a wrench into setting up specified times for almost anything. As it is now, I just play whenever, although I try to keep it to an hour or less. It helps that the majority of the games in my Steam library, and that I tend to play at all, can very easily be picked up for an hour before I call it quits.

I don't have a dedicated gaming computer at all, and am very content with what I have now.
  • I own a Gamecube, a Wii U, a 3DS, a GBA and an Xbox that accepts discs when the moon is full and Mars has turned blue. I don't play PC games because my non-Chromebook computer can't handle most games, even though it is by no means a bad computer.

With my newfound jobliness I plan on getting a Retron5 soon.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I have a fuck ton of consoles (the one I use the most is PS2) and a PC. imo every game should have a Mac and Linux version.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    I wouldn't get a Retron5, Kex. Unless you have the original cartridges it won't do much since it doesn't play roms.

The best emulation machine that is not a computer is a softmoded Wii in my opinion
  • There's a really good used game store near where I live, and I've, ah, never been big on emulation anyhow.
  • i've always been of the mind that i something is not in print, it should be ok to download it

since there isn't any way to actually give money to the creators for the work at the moment and one isn't really morally obligated to give money to people selling used things
  • It's just not something I've ever been comfortable with for whatever reason.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Oh, okay.

Since you didn't mention owning any of the consoles that the Retron plays games off I thought you wanted an emulation console.

• My dreams exceed my real life
    You should play Earthbound now that it's one Virtual Console, Kex.
  • but then the ghost of Forsythe will haunt me
  • it came with chains rattling in the night, blowing its ghostly bassoon
    bassoon!
  • I like bassoons!
    They're long and easy to play!
  • contrabassoons are even better imo
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I have Steam on my general-purpose laptop and a 3DS. That's pretty much it. I also only have keyboard and trackpad controls for the aforementioned laptop.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Kexruct said:

but then the ghost of Forsythe will haunt me

Are you implying he died? :o
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-08-18 14:23:03

At this point, I guess most of my games are played on the 3DS or GameCube. A Wii U is sometimes available, as is a super old DS. I theoretically also have access to a Steam account, but I have only ever used it for Monkey Island games (Monkey Island is basically all I play on PC anyway, aside from random stuff like Pooh's Home Run Derby).

I am pretty much a casual and play mostly RPGs and platformers these days.

If it is alright for me to answer this question in a really boring way, I tend to play games when I have free time, which usually equates to nights and weekends, though my free time tends to be more or less limited depending on real life stuff.
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    PC, mostly. A decent enough laptop, with keyboard and mouse. I do have an old controller which I use if I really need it (and remember I have it). I play it whenever I feel like it because I am very bad at time management that's the punk thing to do

I also have a 3DS, haven't had a dedicated games console for a while.
    I have only one game-playing device, which is my PC.

I use a controller (a Sega Genesis one with USB adapter) because I am literally incapable of playing anything with a keyboard.

I play stuff whenever I feel like it