Windows Jeff rumors thread

edited 2014-06-19 18:27:51 in General
Alright, the official release of Windows Jeff is still several months off, but here's what we know so far:

• The Start-menu will make a long-awaited return
  • It will be possible to run "Metro" apps in a windowed mode ('bout time!)
  • New apps can only be installed through the Windows Store
  • The ability to change the default search engine from Bing to Google has been removed
  • The new "security" settings will block all web browsers except IE from connecting to the internet by default, unless you pay extra for Windows Jeff Ultimate

Comments

• kill living beings
    I hear they're bringing back Comic Chat due to the Jerkcity sponsorship. I think I saw an ad for a Windows Jeffcity promotional brand... thing.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Also, from last week's TechnologyPanics.net article:
    As part of Microsoft's ongoing focus on touchscreen devices, sources say, keyboard and mouse drivers will no longer be supported on 64-bit editions of Windows Jeff. "If you want to run legacy hardware, that's your choice," a Microsoft spokesperson said. "But it's not reasonable to expect that Microsoft will continue to provide support for such outdated hardware as a default Windows component."
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

The new "security" settings will block all web browsers except IE from connecting to the internet by default, unless you pay extra for Windows Jeff Ultimate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Microsoft_competition_case

/aliceruinsjokesbybeingapedant
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I heard windows is trying to get a webseries called Clippy and His Office Friends going
  • edited 2014-06-19 20:57:36
    kill living beings

The new "security" settings will block all web browsers except IE from connecting to the internet by default, unless you pay extra for Windows Jeff Ultimate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Microsoft_competition_case

/aliceruinsjokesbybeingapedant
    well, yeah, that's why they're doing that. they'll let you choose other browsers but the security features block them from working.

you can of course still use other internet services, such as Microsoft® Outlook 2013
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    If this shit can't run a 2D shmup properly, I am not touching it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It can run 2D shmups just fine as long as you buy them from the Microsoft® Xbox® Game Center.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    pff
  • It can run 2D shmups just fine as long as you buy them from the Microsoft® Xbox® Game Center.

I think you mean Games For Windows Jeff.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I think you'll find that Games for Windows was discontinued in 2013, and that Microsoft now uses the name Dewencheetos Market.
  • So, Steam is a no-go?

• The new "security" settings will block all web browsers except IE from connecting to the internet by default, unless you pay extra for Windows Jeff Ultimate
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

Grah. It really sucks that the only OS I know my way around to a decent extent is Windows.
  • edited 2014-06-20 14:55:03

im trying really hard to tell if you are playing along or have fallen for a joke thread
  • I considered that it might be a joke thread, but the tone didn't seem all that jokey.
    It seems that of all the editions of Windows Jeff, only Windows Jeff Enterprise will support non-Outlook email accounts

Like, if you try to type in "http://gmail.com/" in a web browser on Windows Jeff Home, it will just redirect you to Microsoft's web site

They say this is to make it easier to sync with your Windows Phone, but I'm skeptical
  • Who cares about that, now that they've announced Apple Bob

Siri's icon does a little dance now
  • Alright, the official release of Windows Jeff is still several months off, but here's what we know so far:

• The Start-menu will make a long-awaited return
    • It will be possible to run "Metro" apps in a windowed mode ('bout time!)
    • New apps can only be installed through the Windows Store
    • The ability to change the default search engine from Bing to Google has been removed
    they've just announced that windows jeff is now called windows 10
  • kill living beings
    they already announced that

'j' is tenth in the alphabet

#ilerminaty
  • kill living beings
  • kill living beings
    no it's supposed to be a link to the tweet it's from but resizing images works weirdly w/that

https://twitter.com/JamesGecko/status/517116866998054912
    I like how that's the only Windows-naming joke I've seen so far that remembers that old-timey Windows and Windows NT started as two different operating systems.
  • so that's why freebsd is dying