Net Neutrality

edited 2014-05-15 18:28:18 in Talk
The FCC is, starting today, inviting comment on a proposal made with regards to the "open Internet". This article is the clearest one I have on hand.

You can send comments to the FCC at openinternet@fcc.gov. But do so in a calm, articulate manner.

Comments

• People who claim to be for "net neurtality" are falling for the Golden Mean Fallacy. They think that both pro-internet and anti-internet folks are exactly alike and equally wrong, because they don't look at the evidence critically and instead look at trivial crap like tone. When you push those aside, it's obvious that one side is right and one side is wrong.

I am proud to be Anti-Net. Shut down everything!

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Well, they released their proposal. It's 99 pages long...
  • edited 2014-05-28 18:58:25
    http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2014/05/terri_land_dodges_auto_bailout.html

Later, during a question and answer session, an attendee asked [Republican U.S. Senate candidate Terri Lynn] Land what she thought about "net neutrality" -- the idea that Internet service providers should treat all data the same without favoring media companies willing to pay for bandwidth access.

"I think the Internet should be free," Land said. "It is a great source of information. I'm on Twitter and a fan of Twitter. I think that's a very important part of this. It's a way to actually interact with the community."

Asked to clarify her position, Land later explained that she was not proposing free national broadband access. "I think it's important that the costs don't go up so people can have access to the Internet," she told reporters.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • naturally, AT&T threatened to sue the government over the decision

how fuckin' stereotypical can you get
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Y4444444444444Y

and fuck you too, AT&T, you're part of the problem :P
  • > party line vote 3-2, D in favor R against

well, good to see that the R's are not hesitating at all to be on the wrong side of history
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Is it wrong that at this point I'm more worried about Congress fucking this up than I am the lawsuits fucking it up?
  • edited 2015-02-26 19:19:14
    i'm honestly okay with hollywood leaving the dems' coalition if the dems can instead gain a bunch of disaffected young internet users in their camp

ehh never mind that probably has more to do with copyright law than net neutrality
  • The core net neutrality provisions are bans on blocking and throttling traffic, a ban on paid prioritization, and a requirement to disclose network management practices. Broadband providers will not be allowed to block or degrade access to legal content, applications, services, and non-harmful devices or favor some traffic over others in exchange for payment. There are exceptions for "reasonable network management" and certain data services that don't use the "public Internet." Those include heart monitoring services and the Voice over Internet Protocol services offered by home Internet providers.

• edited 2015-02-26 20:21:02
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Is it wrong that at this point I'm more worried about Congress fucking this up than I am the lawsuits fucking it up?

Obama will almost certainly veto any legislation that would be too damaging towards this ruling.

On the other hand, he can't do that with the Supreme Court.
    Really I'm just not very worried about the courts because it's pretty clear that the big telcos like AT&T don't really have a leg to stand on.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    The 5-4 conservative majority on the Supreme Court that has let even dicier legal arguments slide because it agreed with their politics says differently.
    That's assuming this would even make it to SCOTUS, though, which seems unlikely
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    That's true.

Let's hope for the best here.
    And like clockwork, the anti-NN people on Twitter are like "OH NOES MAH FREEZE PEACH". No one said anything about limiting freedom of expression, dumbasses. Stop parrotting NCTA propaganda. :P
  • Verizon feels so, so stupid right now for starting all this.
    And now NCTA is running a sponsored tweet that points to an article which essentially boils down to "OH GOD, WE MAY ACTUALLY HAVE TO SPEND SOME OF THE BUCKETS OF MONEY WE EXTORT FROM PEOPLE, HOW SCANDALOUS AND UNFAIR!"
    Complaining about not being able to introduce new products without approval (hint: that wasn't title II's fault, that was the consent decrees against AT&T...the Baby Bells introduced a ton of new stuff after the breakup), complaining about not being able to build out (like anyone is bothering now?), and complaining about taxes (as if a few dollars a month more, at most, is a huge hardship when the cable companies are already nickel and diming everyone with fees).
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
  • edited 2015-03-25 19:59:44
    Why do I get a slight whiff of anti-NN in that article?

Also, watch out for the stupid autoplay on that page.  I suddenly started getting stuff playing out of my headphones because of that.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i mean, the url includes "money", so they're probably pro-big-corporation by default
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Anonus said:

it's not over yet

It's never over. :D
  • Cream said:

Anonus said:

it's not over yet

It's never over. :D
    And we shall fight on, for everlasting fairness.