We'll Never Understand Royals (Royals)

edited 2014-04-22 00:16:55 in General
I don't understand much of the lyrics. Like I get that it's about being disgusted by the excesses you see in media, being okay with what you have. But some lines just don't seem to fit that statement, maybe because of their obtuse phrasing. Examples: 

I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies

I don't get that.

Let me be your ruler (ruler),
You can call me queen Bee
And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule.
Let me live that fantasy.

Ooh ooh oh
We're bigger than we ever dreamed,
And I'm in love with being queen.

Like, being royalty is synonymous with being rich. We'll never be royals, but I really fucking want to be a queen.

Ooh ooh oh
Life is great without a care
We aren't caught up in your love affair.

Being poor or middle class doesn't mean you don't have worries. It just means you have different worries.

Long-story-short: someone please explain this to me.

Comments

• Being poor or middle class doesn't mean you don't have worries. It just means you have different worries.
    it's not about class as much as it is about attachment i think. when one doesn't care about having/attaining wealth one is happier.

I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies

I don't get that.

i think this is about how her new outlook started out watching movies and seeing how marriage brought people contentment in film.

You can call me queen Bee
    And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule.
    Let me live that fantasy.

Ooh ooh oh
    We're bigger than we ever dreamed,
    And I'm in love with being queen.

and i think this is supposed to be kinda mocking as opposed to serious

all around just (*shrug*) i guess
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Sure, I can understand the "I don't care if I ever get rich" sentiment. But that's not what the line is.

And I dunno, throughout the song she says "I don't care about being cool" and then the message shifts to "wow I'm so cool". I don't understand what the purpose of it is.
  • not caring about being cool is part and parcel with being really cool.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    But that quality of coolness is then ruined if you acknowledge that you are cool.
  • But that quality of coolness is then ruined if you acknowledge that you are cool.

Very true.

It is a flawed song in many ways. though i feel like giving it a pass as it was written by a 16 year old
    I can't give it a pass because everybody decided that they liked it and now it's the top of the charts.
  • wasn't that a few months back?
  • and the top of the charts is garbage 98% of the time just saying
  • edited 2014-04-22 06:42:57
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Even if it was a few months back, I still can't escape it.

Also my local music channel keeps playing it.