ATTN: People pretending Gauss is meaningful

edited 2014-04-16 16:47:24 in General
I hope you like your goddamn tenure and your students and your millions of math department winnings and your cocaine and your midnight blood rituals.

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    *breaks down crying*
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    There there, Odra.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    who the fuck is Gauss
  • kill living beings
    i hear the blood rituals get old
  • who the fuck is Gauss

back when CRTs were still a thing, he lived in your monitor and fucked up the color and that's what happened when you degaussed your monitor

(actually he's a mathematician.  he did a lot of stuff.  i think he did stuff with magnetism and that's where degauss comes from)
    oh.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Aw man the degauss button, I loved that thing

It was fun to do it in front of people who had no idea what it was and watch them freak out as you made the computer screen go all funky
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I wonder if future generations will think of CRTs as some kind of dinosaur technology

The way we view, say, electronics with vacuum tubes
    -calica said:

who the fuck is Gauss

back when CRTs were still a thing, he lived in your monitor and fucked up the color and that's what happened when you degaussed your monitor

(actually he's a mathematician.  he did a lot of stuff.  i think he did stuff with magnetism and that's where degauss comes from)
    I'm sure Gauss is as Not Even Wrong about magnets as Violent J is.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

I don't think that you're allowed to use science nerd lingo if you're going to use a thread to bitch about science nerds.
  • edited 2014-04-16 22:26:59
    My dreams exceed my real life

Odradek said:

I don't think that you're allowed to use science nerd lingo if you're going to use a thread to bitch about science nerds.

Stop using your logic on my cartoonish outrage. 
  • -calica said:

who the fuck is Gauss

is that why Gauss Rifles are called that?
    what about Gaussian blur?
    ^^, ^ Yes.

The sound of feedback from the pickups on Damon Albarn's guitar?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

The sound of feedback from the pickups on Damon Albarn's guitar?
    I don't know about you, but they're putting the holes in, yes, yes...
  • kill living beings

I wonder if future generations will think of CRTs as some kind of dinosaur technology

I already do and I grew up with them

is that why Gauss Rifles are called that?

Yes, Gauss wrote the theory on magnetic accelerators

Yes, Gaussian blur is the application of a Gaussian function (bell curve)
    I learned something today!

I already do and I grew up with them
    I probably would too if not for the fact that I still use them

(Is it just me, or do CRT TVs seem to last fucking forever?)
  • kill living beings
    ok, well, they last forever if you don't do that to them
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

I think of CRTs as dinosaur technology, and I owned some.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I still have a CRT in here for my Apple IIgs, since it uses analog 15k RGB, and monitors that can handle that are very hard to find now.
  • kill living beings
    is that pre vga O_o

I think of CRTs as dinosaur technology, and I owned some.
    Me, too, now that I think of it. I still have one sitting in my room.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The Apple IIgs was introduced in 1986, so yeah, pre-VGA but only just. I wish it could do 480p, that way I could just feed it to my ASUS monitor.
    https://twitter.com/lgarron/status/991025002047655936 Time to bury this joking hatchet nobody remembers
  • total normal electric flux out of an enclosed surface equals the enclosed charge divided by permittivity
    Thank you I assume those words mean something