Walmart

edited 2014-04-11 07:10:23 in General
Because I felt like a thread about Walmart.

Comments

• I don't buy from these folks.

My mom does, but I make a point to avoid them.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    going into Walmart is like walking into a nightmare
  • going into Walmart is like walking into a nightmare

• if it is a nightmare then it's a very dull one
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's preferable to walking into Kmart, at least

'Course, that's a bit like saying it's better than cutting your own legs off, but still...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Kmart stores, in my experience, tend to be in worse physical condition, and have ruder employees.

They do tend to have decent prices on some things, admittedly.
  • why is Kmart worse?

have you ever been inside of a Kmart
  • Nah, Walmart is still worse IMO. Kmart has a tendency to be an unreaped gold mine for certain things (case in point: that VHS of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius that someone posted on Tumblr last year).

Also, by association Kmart is effectively related to Sears, and I enjoy Sears's existence for its pricing alone (although shopping there is notably nicer than Kmart, if only for its tendency to be better kept).
  • I desperately need Sears to remodel their stores, though

These days a majority of the locations nearby have flourishes of the new identity and a swath of classic stuff from before the 2004 rebrand and it's a mess
  • why is Kmart worse?

have you ever been inside of a Kmart
    been inside Kmart, Walmart, and Target.  They appear roughly similar.
    they are all embodiments of The American DreamTM
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I haven't been to Kmart in a long, long time.

Target is perfectly fine. Walmart is... depressing.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Kmart is....well, it's like a Walmart that hasn't been renovated since the late 1980s desperately wanting to be Target. :/
  • lee4hmz said:

Kmart is....well, it's like a Walmart that hasn't been renovated since the late 1980s desperately wanting to be Target. :/

• Ehh, Walmarts and Kmarts feel substantially similar, and Targets feel slightly different only because they have more updated carts and logo design.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Target has a real knack for style...
  • and a sense of understanding modern shopping tastes that Walmart and (especially) Sears Holdings's stores lack

even if I weren't biased I'd still prefer TGT
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    The point is, they're all similar, but to put them in perspective, Target's like your normal everyday person, they have their issues and they suck ass sometimes but they're okay. Walmart and Kmart are those weird folks that shamble around in the streets in tattered clothing and matted hair and initially you think they're homeless or seriously mentally handicapped but it turns out they've just stopped trying.
  • have you ever looked at the packaging for target store-brand products

they all have these little bold italic text describing what they are with some cheesy phrase

like, i don't even know why
    ^ True, but what they are describing tends to be very solid product, and the typesetting and colour palettes are generally quite nice.
  • It's just there to be cheeky, I guess

up&up in general was created to give Target's products a brand of their own that wouldn't be lumped in with that of Target as a whole, though YMMV on whether or not that's been a success

(although I have seen up&up products make their way to places like Ollie's, so)
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-04-17 00:58:17
    There's no denying that it's a more appealing identity than Target Brand, though

• yeah the design and stuff is good,  I just...someone had to be paid by target corporation to decide to put "cushy tushy" on boxes of baby wipes and I think that's beautiful
    I do, too.
    Kmart is also a lot like those regional discounters that seemed to be everywhere in the 1970s and 1980s. Ames, Zayre, Bradlees (all three of which eventually merged together and went out of business), Hills, Big Wheel, Two Guys, Korvettes...there were a bunch of them, and most of them sucked even compared to Walmart.

The only one I know of that 's still around is Roses, and they know where their bread's buttered; they compete more directly with Dollar Tree and Five Below than any of the bigger discounters.
  • the effects of inflation on the fixed-price-point retailer

five-and-dimes give way to dollar trees give way to five below
  • edited 2014-04-18 03:28:05
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    You know what makes me sad about Kmart? The one nearest me never seems to have anything like Powerpuff Girls stickers or sealed Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius VHSes...no, we just have things like this!
  • inflation is a thing that i am still not exactly sure what the right policies are for dealing with

like, on paper it seems to be a bad thing, but it's actually also got some benefits when there's a limited amount of it, so...
    -calica said:

the effects of inflation on the fixed-price-point retailer

five-and-dimes give way to dollar trees give way to five below
    The fact that two of the big chains with "Dollar" in their names (Family Dollar and Dollar General) regularly sell items for more than $1 had always bugged me.
    srsly nobody's gonna say anything about the fucked-up Super Kmart logos
    how dare they
  • I was, but I figured they spoke for themselves

(why didn't they get rid of the swoosh?)
    Anonus said:

I commented on them when you showed them to me the first time. *shrug*
    Tre said:

I was, but I figured they spoke for themselves

because Kmart

Anonus said:

yeah like two years ago
  • edited 2014-04-18 22:23:02
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Anonus said:

Anonus said:

yeah like two years ago
    I'm always amazed at the long memories you two have.
    Tre said:

If they wanted to be fancy, they could have done that and moved the K slightly to the left to get rid of the unsightly gap. But that would require more than the absolute minimum amount of effort, and that's too much for Kmart.
    Actually, looking at it again, it might actually be that the swoosh is physically connected to the K. It's hard to tell, though.

THIS PHOTO WAS TAKEN LAST WEEK AT MY LOCAL KMART. YES, THAT IS A SEALED VHS TAPE OF JIMMY NEUTRON THE MOVIE, IN 2014, AT KMART, SITTING NEXT TO DVDS AND BLU-RAYS, PRICED AT $8.99 

To give perspective, this film was released on VHS in 2002 and has been sitting unopened in a Kmart store for 12 years, longer than children now in middle school. 

Plain proof that no one does inventory or gives a shit at any Kmart anywhere. Someone could probably live in Kmart and have no one notice.
    Wow. Around here, you usually find stuff like that at Goodwill for $1. :P
  • edited 2014-04-20 15:47:12
    ^^ That sounds like a good thing.  That they still have that.
    Does knowing this make you more or less likely to shop at K-Mart?
    [x] more likely
    [  ] less likely
    [  ] no change
  • do you actually own a vhs player, gmh

like, really
    Not trying to be a smartass, GMH, but...why do you consider it a good thing that they still have that, when you could probably get it cheaper elsewhere?
    he's a big fan of Jimmy Neutron
  • -calica said:

do you actually own a vhs player, gmh

like, really
    maybe it's one of those all-in-one media players that's a DVD, BluRay, and VHS player.
  • do they even make vhs players that connect to modern tvs
    you could get an old one from a thrift store
  • an old tv?  maybe, but there's a goddamn reason we don't use CRTs anymore
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    -calica said:

an old tv?  maybe, but there's a goddamn reason we don't use CRTs anymore

ouch