I had to turn it off after two and a half minutes

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    what kind of pain?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    because it's so freakin' slow?

Sega, what the hell
  • the invincibility music sounds like game over music
  • and you know it's not even like they don't know how to speed up music on the genesis

the music speeds up when you get the speed boots
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

what kind of pain?

It's hard to describe, but...it's a weird sort of sensory thing. Like it just manages to grate on me in such a way that I can only tolerate so much of it.

It's not the only thing that does that to me, either...maybe it's an autism spectrum thing
  • is it the sound or the visuals that do it?

like try just listening to it or just watching it
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Mostly the sound.
    ...Yeah, watching it with the sound off is fine

I mean, I can still tell something's "off", but it doesn't hurt me
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It's that really high-pitched TV whine in the background, I think. Really uncomfortable to listen to at length.
    Clearly we need to find European!Central Avenue and see what effect watching the NTSC version of this game has on her.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I just think it's the super high frequencies in the background. You can hear them clearly at the start of the video and they linger in the background throughout the whole thing.
  • edited 2014-04-11 02:27:40
    kill living beings
    i have a pretty good idea of what the difference between ntsc and pal is and that scares me

don't be an engineer
  • i have a pretty good idea of what the difference between ntsc and pal is and that scares me

don't be an engineer

I know one of them's at 50/s and one of them's at 60/s but not much else
  • I just started watching this video on a whim and ended up seeing the whole thing.  It's not that bad.  Just a little slow.

Though now that it's slower, I can take in more of the graphical details, and also see where the player-character is going.
  • edited 2014-04-11 15:45:16
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ...is no-one else disturbed by that high-pitched hissy sound, or is it not just me with my freaky bat ears?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i couldn't hear it

i could play it to my brother and see if he gets a migraine from it

but i won't, obviously
  • ...is no-one else disturbed by that high-pitched hissy sound, or is it not just me with my freaky bat ears?

i hear it but it doesnt bug me a whole ton
  • edited 2014-04-11 15:55:38
    I can hear up to about 19500 Hertz, and the usual old TV whine is around 16384 Hz, I think, which is way in the upper range of human hearing. A lot of people can't hear past 12000 or so, and then I get really confused when I'm hearing this quiet yet brain-torturing whine and there are a bunch of other people in the room who either don't or barely hear it...

^ It sets my teeth on edge. Seriously.
  • actually it sounds a lot like the sound in the background of foetus's Im Surrounded By Incompetence
    I can hear it, but I'm not sure that's what my problem is...
  • edited 2014-04-11 16:00:50
    ^^ I tend to be a lot more tolerant of extreme high frequencies in music, like the bizarre shrill synths on Animal Collective's first few albums or some of the crazy tweeter sounds in harsh noise, but just hanging in the air like that and crackling like nails on Styrofoam... eugh.

^ Oh, OK.

It is mine, though...
  • ...is no-one else disturbed by that high-pitched hissy sound, or is it not just me with my freaky bat ears?

I actually had the volume on low enough that I didn't notice that.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    For whatever reason, PAL games tend to run at 50fps when they run at 60fps everywhere else in the world, which means they are ~18% slower.
  • edited 2014-04-11 17:33:03
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Miko said:

For whatever reason, PAL games tend to run at 50fps when they run at 60fps everywhere else in the world, which means they are ~18% slower.

Because PAL has a utility frequency of 50 Hz rather than 60. Also, this hasn't been the case for years, since pretty much any PAL TV can handle 60 now. Also also, about half the world uses PAL.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ah, sorry :o
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I wouldn't be surprised if my LCD TV can handle PAL, but I don't have anything here that can generate PAL to check.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    CA and Sredni's reaction to this video somehow reminds me of the Lavender Town Syndrome creepypasta. Maybe the video is haunted :P

I tried listening for the background buzzing, but I didn't seem to hear much at first. I had a sinus headache and a brief bout of tinnitus for about half a minute after I stopped, though. Could this be a product of the background buzzing or just coincidence?
  • edited 2014-04-11 22:25:23
    My dreams exceed my real life

Hello. My name is Rufus X. Sarsaparilla. That's not my real name of course, but I hesitate to reveal my real name in case IT's still out there. What is IT you ask? Well it all started one day when I bought an old Nintendo Entertainment System from a college friend for twenty bucks and six cents. I always wanted a NES, because as a hobby I like to collect old cartridges, and I'd always wanted to try out a cartridge my dead sister Rafaela(not her real name) gave me mysteriously before she died in a car crash. The Cartridge was unmarked and I'd always wondered what game it was.

I got home, slipped the cartridge into the NES and realized I didn't have a controller. So I bought one off of Amazon and waited 4-5 days to get a cartridge. During this time, my cat refused to go into the room where I'd left the NES, which was weird because the NES is right next to its litterbox, which I had to move to the kitchen.

I finally began playing the game and he first thing that caught my eye was that the title card was Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, which leads me to assume the game was made to tie-in with the Steven Moffat mini-series Jekyll, which I've never watched. 

I began the game, and the first thing that happened was the words "You shouldn't have done that" appeared in bloody bright blood red on the screen in a resolution too high for the NES, and I saw a deformed man, who I believed to be Mr. Hyde laughing at me with a creepy pixelated laugh I can only compare to the laugh of Soda Popinsky in Punch-Out!!!. I started playing and I was immediately drawn into the stellar gameplay, which featured the protagonist, Dr. Jekyll walking right to go to a party, and encountering multiple obstacles. I soon died to a cat and a horrible sight met my eyes: Dr. Jekyll turned into the horrifying monster from the beginning, and started to walk LEFT he fought, killed, and brutally eviscerated horrible H. R. Giger-esque monsters with photorealistic blood and guts. Suddenly, Hyde turned towards me and laughed that awful Soda Popinski laugh. I realized two things: That I could no longer move to tear out the awful cursed demon cartridge, and that I had pissed myself. WITH BLOOD!

"Good job at the game, Kid, but you've gone as far as you can go. Now that fool Jekyll is gone and I'M IN CONTROL" He said, as he stomped on a monster that looked like a Metroid, but with bloody red blood seeping from it's maw. Suddenly, he stepped onto the exact spot where Jekyll had started, and lighting struck him. Sparks flew out of the NES cartridge, my eyes began to weep blood, and the room caught fire. I managed to gain control of myself, and I ran out of that room, and didn't stop running.

That, fortunately, is where the story ends, for the most part. I later learned, from an MI6 contact, that during the filming of Jekyll, Moffat had shot a serial killer named Albert A. Armadillo(not his real name) and I can only conclude that the bastard Moffat must have bound his soul to an line of NES programming as some kind of Dark Bargain to become lead writer of Dr. Who. I can only conclude that Albert, or Hyde or whatever must have killed my sister. I can only warn you that if you find a cartridge of Dr. Jekyll you must NOT PLAY IT. Don't be lured in by the cool cover artwork, every copy of that game is PURE FUCKING EVIL and WILL KILL YOU if it gets the chance. I can only hope that no one has made a ROM of it and then played it and then uploaded the footage up to youtube OH GOD NOO AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHH
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I can hear it, but eh, could be worse.
  • [geezer]
    > literally
    no it didn't
    [/geezer]