Do you ever think about how amazing modern computers are?

edited 2014-04-10 20:54:21 in General
I mean, seriously.

I have a machine in front of me where I can type in "what does michael jackson say at the end of wanna be startin' something" and actually find an answer!
Tagged:

Comments

• I like being able to say "that japanese painting with the wave" and actually getting it, yeah
  • what does Micheal Jackson say at the end of "Wanna Be Startin' Something"?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Quoth Wikipedia, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy of real life:

The coda at the end of the song comes directly from Cameroonian saxophonist Manu Dibango's 1972 disco song "Soul Makossa". The coda is "Mama-say mama-sah ma-ma-coo-sah".[3] Makossa is a Cameroonian music genre and dance. Dibango sued Jackson and settled out of court for one million French francs, agreeing thereby to waive future rights to this recording but not future use of the material.[6][7][8]

• edited 2014-04-11 01:55:39
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    After consulting with people who know H2G2 better than me, I've been informed that Wikipedia is, in fact, the Encyclopedia Galactica of real life.

The Crown hereby apologizes for any inconvenience.
  • kill living beings
    i've heard modern ram takes ~100 thousand ish atoms per bit

pretty good
  • Wait till we get memristors on the market.  3x3 nm.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I just find it really amusing that we have all this amazingly advanced, amazingly complex technology at our disposal, and we regularly use it for the most inane crap as if it's nothing.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Indeed.

I love Wikipedia, Wiktionary and the online OED so much. It's like having the whole world at your fingertips.
  • I just find it really amusing that we have all this amazingly advanced, amazingly complex technology at our disposal, and we regularly use it for the most inane crap as if it's nothing.

I do kind of take offense at this, but I realize the err was made in ignorance and not malice.
    I didn't say we use it ONLY for inane crap, Clock...
  • Well, I don't see how expressing yourself, in anyway shape or form is considered Inane, sure the things we end up expressing can be defined as Inane, I kind of feel like you're labeling the idea instead of the result.

• kill living beings

I just find it really amusing that we have all this amazingly advanced, amazingly complex technology at our disposal, and we regularly use it for the most inane crap as if it's nothing.

language is also a pretty great technology and it was used to write [silly novel of c hoice here]
  • I just find it really amusing that we have all this amazingly advanced, amazingly complex technology at our disposal, and we regularly use it for the most inane crap as if it's nothing.

i saw an ad on youtube about a bluetooth-powered toothbrush that mentioned it using more computing power than we used in the apollo missions

i think this is the first time i've seen the "more power than we used to go to the MOON" thing used in an ad rather than as a criticism of modern society
  • edited 2014-04-11 12:41:21
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Semi-relatedly, it always amuses me when a product is marketed as "space-age technology" to make it sound modern and high-tech

So basically you're saying it's as advanced as 1960s technology?
  • My dreams exceed my real life

language is also a pretty great technology and it was used to write [silly novel of c hoice here]
    We Are All Cyborgs

language is also a pretty great technology and it was used to write the entirety of Lyle Terry's output
  • kill living beings
    owned, fuckers
    Globally known Authoress Terry E. Lyle entices her readers with real-life situations told in her lyrical transparent writing style like Robert Frost and Billy Collins.
    lol
  • It doesn't matter how amazing computers are, because you'll inevitably have to support 10-year-old versions of Internet Explorer that can't use any of the good APIs.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    :(

At that point, you'd be better off writing a custom app in VB. :P
  • kill living beings
    i took this thirty seconds ago
    I love that "Popups" is a "Requirement"
    Also, surely "Java" should belong on the "plugins" side?

Idiots.
  • kill living beings
    it doesn't know i use pdf.js instead of adobe reader, either
    What is CSM, and why are they stuck in 2005?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-04-13 02:33:48
    Man I remember Quicktime.  I used it for Myst and that was about it.

The best part is that if you're supporting IE8, you're actually supporting all the way back to IE5 because someone or other will always be running it in compatibility mode.

The javascript parser it uses is almost half as old as I am.
  • edited 2014-04-13 02:31:40
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

Well, I don't see how expressing yourself, in anyway shape or form is considered Inane, sure the things we end up expressing can be defined as Inane, I kind of feel like you're labeling the idea instead of the result.

Huh... I didn't interpret CA's words to mean things like this form, or maybe posting stories or art to the web.

I thought more looking up random movie facts like who voiced Batman and the Lego movie or wasting hours starting at and collecting MLP fan-art and applying upvotes... 

Not that I don't see any value in either, of course...
  • kill living beings
    It's my school's "virtual learning" thing. As you may know they're largely produced by one patent troll corporation.
    Oh, wonderful. And they probably have a bunch of code monkeys that insist on doing everything in Visual Studio because gvim gives them hives or something. :P
    I've had to deal with ANGEL and Blackboard over the years. I can't honestly remember which one was worse, though...

@Justice: Well, the example I used was googling Michael Jackson lyrics, so...
  • kill living beings

I've had to deal with ANGEL and Blackboard over the years. I can't honestly remember which one was worse, though...

Blackboard bought ANGEL a while back. Hell Yeah.
  • edited 2014-04-13 02:42:08
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

@Justice: Well, the example I used was googling Michael Jackson lyrics, so...
    There you go.
    Blackboard grabs ANGEL: American purveyors of annoying web software for schools combine
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-04-13 02:46:53
    lee4hmz said:

Oh, wonderful. And they probably have a bunch
    of code monkeys that insist on doing everything in Visual Studio because
    gvim gives them hives or something. :P

Well, I do most stuff in Visual Studio.  But I also work with a fucking huge project with all our source control linked into it through Visual Studio, so yeah.

Also I never liked VI.
  • kill living beings

Blackboard grabs ANGEL: American purveyors of annoying web software for schools combine

like i said, patent trolls too. while back someone made a wikipedia article on the history of these things apparently entirely for the sake of fucking with them (prior art)
    I've found that VS makes a decent editor for the actual code, but for HTML or text it's kind of clunky. That and gvim can do things like load binary files and convert them to hex, and do a lot of automated stuff that's kind of a pain to set up in VS.

What aspects were NGEL and Blackboard patent trolling on?
  • kill living beings
    http://www.google.com/patents/US6988138

"The patent established Blackboard's claims to the concept of connecting
    together web-based tools to create an interconnected university-wide
    course management system."
  • edited 2014-04-13 05:42:18
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Wow, that's not vague at all¸ Blackboard! :P
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Computers gave me Pyridrym, therefore they are fantastic.
  • Computers are fantastic.

Educational software, less so.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-04-13 13:57:14
    I've found VS is considerably better for HTML than I was expecting, which was admittedly not a high bar.  It's helped me track down a lot of malformed legacy pages when the page was written in annoying non-standard format (which I couldn't fix for fear of an incomprehensible source control merge) that caused problems a few versions down the line when IE stopped allowing Stupid Thing #5234.

It could do with better intellisense on linked JS files though, and inline Angular bindings and directive attributes cause a lot of false alarms.
    Oh, IE6, your legacy will be annoying us all for years, won't it. :P

At work, if I'm doing something where I'm writing a lot of non-Windows code, I've been using Eclipse since, first, there's no VS on Linux (unless you count something like MonoDevelop), and second, Eclipse has excellent PHP support.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-04-13 20:50:17
    Yeah, I can't develop in Linux for my job.  All the back-end software deploys to Windows, and emulation is just too spotty.

I also have to keep VMs ready to test older IE versions, which is a complete pain in the ass.  I've seen those things bluescreen more in any given week than I've seen hardware do in years.
  • It's my school's "virtual learning" thing. As you may know they're largely produced by one patent troll corporation.

that explains a lot.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    why the fuck is Internet Explorer 6 still so commonplace
    Bee :What VM software are you using? I use VirtualBox all the time, and it's pretty solid. (And I've had XP Mode crash my machine before, too. :P)
  • no, adobe reader is not a feature
    it is a bug

something that causes PDF files to be downloaded into individually manipulable files directly rather than being opened in the browser, is a feature
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Sometimes I would much rather view a pdf in my browser, rather than downloading a file to my desktop and opening it in a completely separate program.
  • id rather read a PDF in my browser than in fucking adobe reader thats for sure
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Chrome lets me read PDFs in-browser...