The Thread for Proper Forthright Conduct of Convention

edited 2014-04-20 22:39:25 in Talk
Greetings, all, and welcome to this humble thread.

In here, we will conduct conversations in a civil yet frank manner, and without silliness.  Before we begin, permit me to establish a few ground rules, as follows:
  • Correct grammar and spelling is to be observed at all times.
  • Foul language and NSFW subject matter are strictly prohibited.
  • All participants must follow proper etiquette to the best of their ability.
  • Absolutely no nonsense allowed.

Discussion of any other subject is permitted and encouraged, so have at it! That said, the topic is now about buttered scones.

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Alright, my good fellow.

Do you pronounce it as "scone" as in "cone" or "scone" as in "gone", or "scone" as in "done".

And should margarine be used, or should it be butter?
  • This is to voice my dissatisfaction with Tachyon's words. I'm sure that everyone reading this is already familiar with Tachyon's childish arguments so I'll spare you the sordid details. Instead, I'll simply summarize with the comment that Tachyon manifests a most insupportable superbity. That said, let me continue.

In whatever form it takes—magazines, music, propaganda, or any other form— Tachyon's rhetoric is designed to spread ruin widely through the land. While it is not my purpose to incriminate or exculpate or vindicate or castigate, Tachyon says that she is a spokeswoman for God. Such statements are not just wrong; they're worse than wrong. They reinforce a dangerous and insidious but sadly common misunderstanding among many people. They disguise the fact that this is a lesson for those with eyes to see. It is a lesson not so much about her ultra-silly behavior but about the way that it wasn't so long ago that people like you and me were free to fight on the battleground of ideas for our inalienable individual rights. Recently, that's become a lot harder to do. What happened that changed things so much? To put it briefly, Tachyon happened. By insulting my intelligence, Tachyon has managed to mulct us out of our lives' savings. The moral of the story:  Tachyon's clueless catch-phrases stand as our generation's most prominent monument to deconstructionism.
  • May I ask a question?

Does "Convention" imply that we should behave as if we are at an gathering of persons interested in Japanese animation, or a medium similarly perceived as non-mainstream?
    (2015 self)

May I ask a question?

Does "Convention" imply that we should behave as if we are at an gathering of persons interested in Japanese animation, or a medium similarly perceived as non-mainstream?

No, good sir, it does not imply that.

I could see how you might come to that conclusion, however.
  • edited 2014-04-09 20:52:37
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Aliroz said:

Alright, my good fellow.

Do you pronounce it as "scone" as in "cone" or "scone" as in "gone", or "scone" as in "done".

And should margarine be used, or should it be butter?

Both excellent questions!  Many pronounce it to rhyme with 'cone', but the proper way is without a doubt to rhyme with 'gone'.  Regardless, 'scone' should never rhyme with 'done'.

Butter is certainly to be preferred.

This is to voice my dissatisfaction with Tachyon's words. I'm sure that everyone reading this is already familiar with Tachyon's childish arguments so I'll spare you the sordid details. Instead, I'll simply summarize with the comment that Tachyon manifests a most insupportable superbity. That said, let me continue.

In whatever form it takes—magazines, music, propaganda, or any other form— Tachyon's rhetoric is designed to spread ruin widely through the land. While it is not my purpose to incriminate or exculpate or vindicate or castigate, Tachyon says that she is a spokeswoman for God. Such statements are not just wrong; they're worse than wrong. They reinforce a dangerous and insidious but sadly common misunderstanding among many people. They disguise the fact that this is a lesson for those with eyes to see. It is a lesson not so much about her ultra-silly behavior but about the way that it wasn't so long ago that people like you and me were free to fight on the battleground of ideas for our inalienable individual rights. Recently, that's become a lot harder to do. What happened that changed things so much? To put it briefly, Tachyon happened. By insulting my intelligence, Tachyon has managed to mulct us out of our lives' savings. The moral of the story:  Tachyon's clueless catch-phrases stand as our generation's most prominent monument to deconstructionism.

My dear sir, I really don't know what you mean!

If I have offended you in some way, please do tell me directly, so that we may perhaps arrive at some agreement.  If, on the other hand, you are merely pasting a diatribe which you found on another website, please refrain from doing so in this thread, as there are other, sillier threads which are more suitable for activities of that nature.
  • I am terribly sorry but I must voice my reservations with this thread's title. In addition to being redundant and circumlocutory, it possesses a rather unintuitively awkward, even, dare I say, clumsy sound to it that simply does not encourage serious, forthright conduct at all. I trust that you will look into this issue and find a solution as quickly as you can. Good day.
  • edited 2014-04-10 08:30:45
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Oh dear.  I must profess myself disappointed that the title of this thread has not been received more warmly.  It was adapted from a post by Aliroz in the Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout, and in doing so I desired to signal my intent that this thread might meet with his expectations of a more sensible, polite forum.

However, if the title is causing inadvertant confusion or offence, I am open to suggestions for an alternative title that better fits the aims stated in the original post.  Are you willing to propose a superior title, Midnight Velvet's rotting corpse?
  • edited 2014-04-21 01:01:17
    CUNTASAURUS REXXX
    As you are most certainly already aware, a succinct title is a title most suited to encouraging serious, forthright discourse, and as such, I propose the following titles to replace the one currently being used:

The Thread for Seriousness and Impeccably Forthright Conduct of Convention

The Legitimate Thread for Impeccably Proper Forthright Conduct

The Thread for Proper Forthright Conduct of Convention

The Legitimate for Seriousness and Proper Forthright Conduct of Convention
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    As you are perfectly well aware, that last suggestion is neither fitting nor proper.  Please refrain from making crude and nonsensical remarks in this thread.

Your other suggestions are, however, appreciated.  I will adopt the most succinct suggestion, accordingly.
  • I say, this thread seems in quite dire need of the guignol charms of modern art.

Pulchritudinous!
    (2015 self)
    Might I posit a complaint, good sirs?

It appears that the word, "legitimate" has been discarded, as well as the word, "impeccably".

The deletion of those two words makes this thread, in fact, less than impeccably legitimate.