How HARDCORE of a GAMER are YOU???

edited 2014-04-05 18:34:32 in General
I and my girlfriend are both level 4; let us hope we don't fall off the deep end. ^_^

Comments

• no but really fuck 4chan
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    *Bubbles voice* HARDCOOOORE
  • edited 2014-04-05 18:46:37
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^^ shh :p
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^^ :D
  • *Bubbles voice* HARDCOOOORE

this though

this is good
  • edited 2014-04-05 18:58:02

til Bad Rats is more hardcore than any shmup
  • >making a distinction between shmups and danmaku in 2014

lol

no but really I can't tell if this is supposed to be serious. Given where it's from I'd not be shocked either way.
  • anyone remember the incredibly lame musical version of that there chart

all rap is a 1, shoegaze is a 4, "Kreatrock"
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :D
  • (*flies above the plebians whilst playing a wicked kreatock solo*)

>making a distinction between shmups and danmaku in 2014

lol

*le shrug* SHMUPs is probably shmups pre-1997, back when most shmups were actually possible to beat. ^_^
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    BAD RATS
    Seriously I don't even know where that came from, but I have a feeling this is not meant to be serious.
  • Miko said:

>making a distinction between shmups and danmaku in 2014

lol

*le shrug* SHMUPs is probably shmups pre-1997, back when most shmups were actually possible to beat. ^_^
    pretty sure plenty of danmaku games are easier than shunt-you-back-to-the-start gradius bullshit tho
    I notice that classic shmups, even though you pretty much can't die, ever, get more manageable once you learn the tricks, while danmaku, especially the type of stuff Cave used to put out, would be ultra hard to execute even after memorizing every pattern. But, maybe I haven't played enough "old-school" ones. I guess there is Raiden et. al., but those are proto-danmaku, sort of.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I seem to be casual scum

my musical tastes are spread all around the musical one FWIW
  • anyone remember the incredibly lame musical version of that there chart

all rap is a 1, shoegaze is a 4, "Kreatrock"

pleb music
  • kreatrock > cRap music
  • just so you know im gonna tag all my soundcloud stuff with kreatrock from now on
  • danmaku games with tibetan throat singing OST
    make it happen
  • lowercase music is the funniest shit ever, by the way.

I tried to listen to some once--for a full hour nearly--with some decent headphones and without doing anything else.

My reward was a couple very feint clinks on a piano and the sounds of some paper rustling.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The concept behind the piece that originated lowercase, Alvin Lucier's "Elegy for Albert Anastasia", is actually really fascinating.

Incidentally, I have also enjoyed field recordings, musique concrete and Tibetan throat-singing, so...
  • I like those three things to an extent too.

I dunno man, maybe I just don't get it.
  • But do you listen to kreatrock?
    krautrock
    unless "kreatrock" means Kreator

• edited 2014-04-06 02:11:38
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^^ It's more about the story than the piece: Albert Anastasia was a notorious mobster who was killed because he failed to pick up on a whole bunch of obvious signals that someone wanted him dead. In 1964, Alvin Lucier decided to compose a piece around the idea of what is not heard being more important than what is, and wrote a piece for electronics where over half of the sounds are too low-pitched to consciously hear, but low enough to be felt at certain volumes. Most of the sounds are like the faint flapping of wings, caused by what was essentially a primitive LFO. It's beautiful in its simplicity.

I am generally not huge on lowercase, but I do like some weirder ambient and experimental music that approaches that level of minimalism, and I really like Alvin Lucier.

^^^ Erryday.
  • No kreatrock means kreatrock u pleb
  • edited 2014-04-06 02:20:52
    Some of those really deep-level games look kind of fascinating from an outsider perspective. It's sort of like finding out that certain experimental films or niche TV channels exist and just being entranced by the fact of their being things that people enjoy.
  • so what actually is kreatrock
  • -calica said:

so what actually is kreatrock

It's a stupid typo on that music taste levels thing I like just posted earlier on this page

• edited 2014-04-06 02:30:03
    A misspelling of Krautrock. Ninjutsu!

Incidentally, if I were to actually rank such things in earnest, I think that there are layers of how weird Krautrock can be, with NEU! at their mildest and Can at their grooviest toward the top and stuff like The Faust Tapes and Ash Ra Tempel's live albums closer to the bottom.
  • Some of those really deep-level games look kind of fascinating from an outsider perspective. It's sort of like finding out that certain experimental films or niche TV channels exist and just being entranced by the fact of their being things that people enjoy.

you might genuinely enjoy Crusader Kings 2.

Getting all of the expansions (there are several, plus a bunch of cosmetic DLC that 99% of players never bother with) when a sale isn't going on is exorbitantly expensive though.
  • you'd also probably enjoy The LSD Dream Emulator, which is at the very bottom of that chart.

I think worlds.com is just a nested text thingie.
    LSD has been on my to-play list for a long time. It looks seriously amazing.
    OK, remember I mentioned Alvin Lucier earlier?

Check this out:

• Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    worlds.com is a weird as fuck, extremely simplistic MMO. It's full of botts and people pretending to be bots. It's pretty similar to LSD actually
    It looks like it. Just going to the site is a bit surreal, given how incredibly retro-futuristic it all is...
  • pfft level 0 on the game chart and level 2 on the music chart

god what a pleb
    I'm Level 3 on the game chart, actually, 4 if you count my fondness for the Hitchhiker's Guide text game...

0_0
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I can't wait for that remake of Pathologic that Icepick studios is doing so that normal humans can finally play the game.
  • edited 2014-04-06 15:12:37
    It's cute how /v/ thinks playing obscure video game genres makes you look sophisticated.
    That's because /v/ is one of the 4chan boards utterly dominated by people with no lives.
  • That's because /v/ is one of the 4chan boards utterly dominated by people with no lives.

did you mean
    like all of the 4chan boards
  • as opposed to the ones that aren't?
    The drawings for Jaded Outcast, That Weird Guy and Hardcore don't really imply sophistication
  • That's because /v/ is one of the 4chan boards utterly dominated by people with no lives.

No lives huh? Tell me more about that.
  • no but they imply a vague, early to mid teen's idea of "badass", which is what like a solid half of the people on the internet think about themselves at that age.

That's because /v/ is one of the 4chan boards utterly dominated by people with no lives.

did you mean
    like all of the 4chan boards

as opposed to the ones that aren't?

They have a lot of boards for more regular hobbies. /ck/, /fit/, /out/, /diy/, /d/...