Things it took you far too long to realize

edited 2014-03-29 22:45:43 in General
"PlayStation" is a play on the word "workstation."

"Penny" is the singular form of "pence".

It's called a "buckeye" because it vaguely resembles the eye of a deer.

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    well all of those for starters

now what's a Hoosier
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Adios shares a root with Adieu.

Alligator:  El Lagarto (spanish for lizard).  Lacertilian.

Garial and Gavial!

Petroleum:  Petra-Oleum.  Rock Oil.

Earwigs aren't called that because they go in your ears and bite in there and make you go deaf.  Earwigs are called that because they eat ears of corn.

Ivan:   Iuan:  Juan:  Jean:  Jan:  John:  Sean:  Gene:  Shawn:  Johan:  Iohannes
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

well all of those for starters

now what's a Hoosier

Person from Indiana.

Pronounces Versailles as "Ver-Sails", "Lima" as "lima" as in bean, and "Peru" as in "Pee-roo"
    (2015 self)
    Goober = peanut.
  • edited 2014-03-29 22:54:20
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Oh, i'm aware of what 'Hoosier' means.  i was rather hoping for an etymology.
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

Oh, i'm aware of what 'Hoosier' means.  i was rather hoping for an etymology.

BWAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!

You and the last century of etymologists!

Seriously, it's etymology is as unknown as the origin of the phrase "heavens to betsy".
    Well then.

i've stumbled upon a mystery, it seems.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

so

Morven is here.

That's cool.

Yes.
  • 'ts been a while.

And it's an odd thing of knowing I know most of you but not being able to put NAMES on the VOICES.

'cept for CA because

it's like being in a conversation of old friends but all rendered via text to speech
  • edited 2014-03-30 00:33:55

spoiler alert: i'm fast eddie

we are all fast eddie
  • edited 2014-03-30 00:34:07
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Spoilered in case you'd rather work it out for yourself:

Spoiler:

Tachyon = Bobby G

Sredni Vashtar = JHM

Burgundy Queen = Spain Sun

Yon Assassin = inane242
  • You can't be Fast Eddie because you're not grumps.  Or gramps.

Ah ta, CA.

Not that it really matters, really.  Which is an overuse of the word really.  Really.
    and Aliroz is still Aliroz
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    lee4hmz = still homsar lee4hmz
  • hi Morven

do you remember me

how good are your reflexes?

*throws a lava lamp at you*
  • *ducks*

Goddamn it, now I have the quacks.
  • My murder of 9,000 crows may not appreciate that :(
  • Morven said:

'ts been a while.

And it's an odd thing of knowing I know most of you but not being able to put NAMES on the VOICES.

'cept for CA because

it's like being in a conversation of old friends but all rendered via text to speech
    i used to have a poni- in front
    still do on irc
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I was called Imipolex G
  • I was called Imipolex G

(*gasp*)
  • edited 2014-03-30 03:36:20
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    on topic: the reason Americans care more about tipping than people over here is that American staff aren't paid the minimum wage otherwise
  • that depends on the state and job actually, but yes.
  • yeah, you can't do that in California for instance.  But waiters etc. are still supposed to make most of their living from tips.
  • Which is like, bullshit, because no one who can afford to leave big tips ever does.

Certain branches of my family are the type that like to think they're rich, and consider it improper to leave an overly large tip when we go out to dinner. It's usually my mom who ends up leaving the largest tip.

As an example, one of my aunts, who is otherwise a decent person, never leaves large tips* even though she is the CFO of a fucking bank.

I shouldn't badmouth her since she's helped me and my mom out on several occasions, but it's just weird. Don't even get me started on her husband.

*like, anything exceeding the bare minimum "polite" tip
  • I find people who've been there themselves tend to tip better.  Not necessarily waitstaff, but any job relying on being paid by their customers.

Musicians who've made it tend to tip pretty well, in my experience.  Friend of mine's dad is a waiter at some high-end place; biggest tip he ever got was from the country band Alabama, in town for a concert.
    the etiquette surrounding tips baffles me

like, i can see the problems with not tipping enough, but is there a situation in which it's possible to tip too much?
  • Tachyon said:

the etiquette surrounding tips baffles me

like, i can see the problems with not tipping enough, but is there a situation in which it's possible to tip too much?

The thing with tipping too much isn't that you're afraid of offending the waitstaff or whatever, it's that you're afraid of making yourself look bad in front of other wealthy people.

That's my thought on the subject anyway. I know people who could easily tip $100 pretty often and don't.
    oh

that's pretty dumb
    imho
  • A certain part of my family is stupidly pretentious (no longer even talking about the aunt, she's actually pretty nice aside from this specific issue), and tend to treat anyone who doesn't play the stock market for a living like shit. Including my mom (who works at McDonald's) and myself (who is currently unemployed but worked at Wegman's when I last saw those people).
    That sucks.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I am Myrmidon.
  • I usually tip twenty percent because I heard that you tip 15% normally and 20% if you like the service and I like to be nice
  • edited 2014-03-30 14:36:09
    I once gave a taxi driver a larger tip because his car was a hybrid.

In general though I am not wealthy so I can't tip much.  The best I can do is to patronize the business more often.  And for local businesses whose stuff I like, especially food places, this happens quite often.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That food truck on campus is called "Thyme & Change" because it's a reference to the last line of "Carmen Ohio": Time and change will surely show how firm thy friendship, O-hi-o.
    oh.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    the g in lasagna is silent
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

the g in lasagna is silent

more like "the gn combination is pronounced ny" I think
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, it's a diphthong in Italian....it's pronounced like ñ in Spanish and nh in Portuguese.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    ngan~
  • It took me until I was in my teens to realize that Black Friday was not part of Black History Month.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Android's name derives from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • kill living beings
    what, like the phone?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The OS, I think, yes
    The word "android" far predates that novel, however.