DreamWorks Animation, DHX Media to merge

edited 2014-03-13 04:54:46 in General
Not really. But would you like this deal?

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i would be apathetic towards it
  • edited 2014-03-13 05:33:37
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Ewwwwwwwww?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    To be honest, I had the same reaction when Cookie Jar bought DIC...
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-03-13 05:46:35
    Yes, ewwwwwwwww

Stuff like that heightens the chances of a dip in quality on DreamWorks's TV properties (which, I might note, include both Turbo and Classic Media's catalog)

Overall it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Well

I was wondering what the MLP:FIM fans would think
    Also

How would you feel about DreamWorks Animation owning the Teletubbies
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    apathetic

Dreamworks owning Rosie and Jim would make me apprehensive except they'd probably abandon it altogether for not being sufficiently profitable i'm guessing
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    what authors do they publish
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    is that supposed to be Rainbow Dash making the DreamWorks Face

(remember this, though: though DHX makes MLP:FIM, Hasbro owns the show outright)

Anonus said:

is that supposed to be Rainbow Dash making the DreamWorks Face

(remember this, though: though DHX makes MLP:FIM, Hasbro owns the show outright)
    She actually made that face early in season 4, but yeah, that's basically what everyone declared. 

As far as Dreamworks buying out DHX; I guess I would only care if this somehow meant they'd stop working on the show.

Things are pretty decent at the moment, so I'm not terribly concerned about someone buying something and meddling... unless they're like... anti-money, or something... 
    If DWA/DHX dropped the MLP/Hasbro contract, I have no idea who Hasbro would turn to to replace DHX.

Anyway, DHX's main attraction is its huge back catalog. It includes, among other things, Inspector Gadget, DIC's Sonic cartoons, Teletubbies (yeah I know Americans haven't cared about that in 15 years but DHX thought it was worth buying), the international rights to Yo Gabba Gabba! (as well as the IP itself) and the first fifteen seasons of Arthur.
    Anyway, DHX isn't a very profitable company. Whatever commission they get from Hasbro hasn't been mentioned in any of the financial statements of theirs that I've read...
  • edited 2014-04-07 03:50:30
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

^^And that would be concerning, hypothetically speaking. Though, it wouldn't make a ton of sense considering MLP:FiM is profitable.

^ I was wondering how much they make in general. I'm sure they get a net positive amount from MLP:FiM, but I kinda figured animation companies aren't really raking it in since the success of whatever they make probably doesn't help them any.
  • edited 2014-04-07 04:28:01
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The things that DHX actually owns, for the most part, hold little value (they seem to be the typical Canadian filler). Most of the worthwhile things they do own were inherited from Wildbrain, Cookie Jar, and Ragdoll Worldwide (Studio B, the studio that makes FIM, was acquired in 2007, and had a fairly small library)
    There's an issue here I keep forgetting about: DHX is the incoming owner of the Family Channel and the Canadian versions of Disney XD and Disney Junior (in English and French). Seeing as how DHX would be selling itself to an American interest, and DreamWorks Animation wouldn't be able to own more than 20% of these channels, who would buy them? Rogers?

Broadcast ownership in Canada is insanely consolidated (incidentally, said consolidation was the only reason DHX was able to buy these channels in the first place).
    Oh man, I missed this: DHX is buying Degrassi

Is DHX the new Classic Media?
    (also, to clarify, when I said DHX wasn't very profitable, I meant that they weren't raking in astronomical sums of money, not that their margins were thin. Still, DWA and DHX do seem like companies that would end up needing each other at some point)

I looked at their stock charts for the heck of it a about a week back. Looks like they're more or less holding steady at the moment.
    I went and looked at the history of their stock (the company is the result of the Halifax Film Company acquiring Decode Entertainment and then going public); it has been listed since 2006, and I remember 2012's Cookie Jar acquisition causing it to spike a bit. It's still a cheap stock, though...