My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic

edited 2014-02-28 22:03:57 in General Media
Go download this and have fun having ponies beat the hay out of each other:

I know I am.

Also ignore the comments, unless you want to watch bronies bitch about... whatever...

Seems some fans made this while keeping it completely hush-hush and have made it without any legal problems (as of yet)

Comments

• edited 2014-03-01 19:55:40
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Aaaand the download is already gone.

Oh well. It'll pop up elsewhere, I'm sure. I don't think the alpha build ever just disappeared or anything.

I managed to beat the game as Rarity. This was no easy feet. The game only has one mode: The computer opponent spam attacks you like crazy with every move it knows until you die.

I got a PS3 controller working with my computer and this was able to make jump attacks easy enough that I could string some pretty good combos in between special move spamming. 

Anyhow, desire for more of a tiered difficulty aside, this was a ton of fun and I look forward to playing with more of the characters.
  • edited 2014-03-01 20:15:39
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    so if i'm getting this straight... bronies were making a game which depicted Hasbro's characters in a way Hasbro didn't like, Hasbro told them to stop and threatened legal action, Lauren very generously stepped up and designed a whole bunch of new characters so the game could still be made, and then bronies (being a bunch of entitled nerds) decided to show their gratitude by making the game they'd been expressly told not to make anyway?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    In fairness to Mane6 (the original developers), they continue to comply with Hasbro's wishes. It's other people who went ahead and made the game anyway.

Not that that makes it better, really, but at least the people originally involved are doing the right thing.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Did Mane6 complete the game with Lauren's new designs?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Not yet. I worry about it becoming vaporware, honestly. :(
  • edited 2014-03-01 20:48:40

You may want to keep in mind these are two different groups we're talking about, seriously:

bronies (being a bunch of entitled nerds) 

Can we please show a little restraint when we start throwing around the labels? I know for a fact just about everyone on this site would flip their shit if someone started generalizing on race, gender, or sexual preference. But start talking about people whose only commonality is a like of cartoon horses and suddenly we have a bunch of acceptable targets. Come on guys.

NOW that that's out of the way. A couple points:

Mane6 was probably too well organized for it's own good. One of Hasbro's fears was this might be considered something of an official licensed property of theirs or something. I'd say the cease and desist made some sense as they don't need parents thinking part of their kid friendly show involves the characters kicking the crap out of each other... Uh... though there have been a few scuffles in the show...

Not sure the particulars of who finished a few elements here. They probably don't want to be identified anyways. The underground nature of the game will definitely distance the idea that Hasbro supports this. 

Lauren also initially supported the game anyhow, liking that the character fought in away that didn't use weapons and reflected their personalities. So I kinda doubt she feels snubbed. She's also not really associated with the show anymore, aside from her creator credits.

I guess I'm having trouble seeing there's a victim here. There's lots of fan produced work for the show and and basically made many of the characters more marketable to the brony crowd. Hasbro seems absolutely fine shilling out Doctor Whooves and Derpy merch in Hot Topic, so why exactly does something suddenly become taboo because Hasbro says so? If the issue is Lauren, then once again, she was fine with the initial concept and acted independently anyways. 

There's gotta be a ton of stuff they don't really condone, but their actions where more to distance themselves from something that people might have felt had their stamp of approval on. Mission pretty much accomplished there.
  • edited 2014-03-01 20:52:36
    i never said anything bad about Mane6!  i was talking about the bronies responsible for the game with the ponies.

And as for the people responsible for the game with the ponies, it seems rather ungrateful when your fandom has been given a bunch of character designs for free - by a professional writer/animator, no less - to then go ahead and make the game you were told not to make.  It was my understanding that she made the characters precisely so they could still go ahead in spite of the cease and desist.

And i'm sorry, but the fact that some bronies evidently felt within their rights to go ahead and make the original game in spite of this does strike me as extremely entitled.  i'm not generalizing, i'm telling it how i see it, and i resent the implication that doing so is in any way similar to generalizing about races or genders or what have you.
  • race, gender, or sexual preference. 
    thingsdirectlycomprabletocartoonponyenjoyment.txt
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

race, gender, or sexual preference. 

Quiet, you.

You know what he is trying to say.
  • edited 2014-03-01 20:56:50
    And Justice knows what i'm trying to say, but instead chose to make a spurious comparison.
    (2015 self)
    So please act like it.

You know what the other guy is trying to say.
  • edited 2014-03-01 21:00:32
    i don't see your point.  i see no reason not to describe entitled nerds as entitled nerds.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Justice, if you know anything about Warner Bros.'s historical handling of the Looney Tunes characters, you know that the essence of a property and its owner's perception of it aren't always the same thing...
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

i don't see your point.  i see no reason not to describe entitled nerds as entitled nerds.

Please don't make that generalization though, considering those brownies who refuse to play the hasbro-frowned game and who only play the approved game.

I'm all for calling a spade a goshadarn shovel, but I think it's unfair to paint those brownies who stayed loyal to Hasbro with that same brush.
  • edited 2014-03-01 21:06:20
    Hey!  i didn't say anything about the Brownies! :p

As for the bronies, i think it was pretty obvious that i was talking about the ones who made the not-approved game, since i said they made it, and i know full well that not every single brony was involved in its production.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

race, gender, or sexual preference. 
    The point is that there seems to be an attitude that it's not okay to make mass, generalizing statements on groups based on certain things, but when it's as nebulous as "liking cartoon ponies" suddenly it's okay. 

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but what if we started taking wide strokes with furry's or the Pokemon fandom?

I just detest this notion that it's okay to pick on certain groups unless we're addressing some sort of actual universally held belief. In this case, we only have "like of cartoon horses" so calling them 'a bunch of entitled nerds' is sending of red flags here. 
    Tachyon said:

i'm not generalizing, 

How is this not generalizing? "bronies (being a bunch of entitled nerds) "

As for the rest:

It was my understanding that she made the characters precisely so they could still go ahead in spite of the cease and desist.

Sure, for Mane 6. It's not like Faust made some sort of statement that she hoped the original idea should up and die.

And i'm sorry, but the fact that some bronies evidently felt within their rights to go ahead and make the original game in spite of this does strike me as extremely entitled.

That's your opinion and I can respect that. Though, I kinda feel that Hasbro is milking this franchise for all it's worth. I consider this a pretty good and smart thing, as they're making fans happy as well. I also think they have a right to manage their property especially when there's a a danger of something that looks like a professionally made video game getting out their and looking like it has official support.

Though, now that they've dealt with that problem, I'm not really seeing an issue. There's massive amounts of things fans have created that Hasbro wants little to nothing to do with, those things just aren't really in danger of anyone thinking they're officially licensed creations.

Tachyon said:

Hey!  i didn't say anything about the Brownies! :p

Tachyon said:

As for the bronies, i think it was pretty obvious that i was talking about the ones who made the not-approved game, since i said they made it, and i know full well that not every single brony was involved in its production.

No it wasn't.

If it was I wouldn't have said what I did.

And I got that you didn't think every brony made the game, but you either accidentally or didn't have a problem attributing a negative personality straight to the group as a whole.

I'm not trying to compare apples to oranges here, just ask that if people are going to lump a huge group of individuals by a label we not do any of the things we normally wouldn't do if the label where say, applied to something a bit less nebulous.
  • edited 2014-03-01 21:16:04

How is this not generalizing? "bronies (being a bunch of entitled nerds)

You took that out of context. i said 'bronies (being a bunch of entitled nerds) decided to show their gratitude by making the game they'd been expressly told not to make anyway'. i was pretty obviously not talking about everyone who watches MLP.

Heck, i watch MLP, or have been known to do so. i used to use a Fluttershy avatar, for goodness' sake.

And we've said plenty of rude things about Twilight fans and Sonic fans and furries and tumblr users and all sorts here, so i don't see how this is any different.

Sure, for Mane 6. It's not like Faust made some sort of statement that she hoped the original idea should up and die.

True, but Mane6 were the ones making the game, and it's not like they were only making it for themselves. The expectation was that other people would be playing it.

Anyway, maybe it's not an issue. It just struck me as kind of a douchebaggy thing to do.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

And I got that you didn't think every brony made the game, but you either accidentally or didn't have a problem attributing a negative personality straight to the group as a whole.

No, i did nothing of the kind. If that's what you got from my post then evidently it wasn't as clear as i thought, but it looks perfectly clear to me.
  • edited 2014-03-01 21:24:52

Tachyon said:

No, i did nothing of the kind. If that's what you got from my post then evidently it wasn't as clear as i thought, but it looks perfectly clear to me.
    If you didn't mean anything that's fine. But even with your addendum up there, it doesn't really look any less to me like you aren't generalizing. 

I'm guessing if you had said "some bronies" I wouldn't have questioned it. I can see how you where hoping the context afterwards would sort of make it clear that you meant that, but it sort of sounds like you're shifting gears to talking about some of the entitled nerds instead of all of them.

Anyhow,

True, but Mane6 were the ones making the game, and it's not like they were only making it for themselves. The expectation was that other people would be playing it.

Anyway, maybe it's not an issue. It just struck me as kind of a douchebaggy thing to do.

Well, do you think they feel slighted that other fans went and worked with their game?

At least one of their crew quit over  this whole thing. He may have even helped get thing thing to the state it's in.

I can see how this could be seen as a doucebaggy thing if say, Lauren or Mane 6 are actually upset. I'm just not sure any of them actually are...

Well, whatever then.  Maybe i'm overreacting.  i imagine this is going to draw attention away from Mane6's game, but maybe that doesn't matter.

And 'some bronies', yeah, i can see that would have been clearer, but i guess i wasn't expecting to get into an argument about this
    incidentally, all bronies are losers
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

But not all losers are Bronies.
  • edited 2014-03-01 21:43:29

Tachyon said:

Hey! Sweet I have a reason to use this!

Tachyon said:

Well, whatever then.  Maybe i'm overreacting.  i imagine this is going to draw attention away from Mane6's game, but maybe that doesn't matter.

Now this I can kinda see. I mean, the whole interest was sort of a fighting game with the characters we all know and love and kinda want to see beat the crap out of each-other. 

Of course we sort of got the next best thing with Faust stepping in to make original characters, but interest might wane now that the itch has been scratched for some.

On the other hand, assuming Mane 6 ever finishes there game, they won't have to  fly it under the radar, and it'll probably be more polished. I'm wondering if the advantage here will make it so the fact that there are several versions of their incomplete work floating around in a semi-complete state not really here nor there.

Also, either way their work is making people happy... so I'm wondering if it works out for them anyhow.

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-03-02 00:29:28
    Well about two posts late for this, but meh.

So, apparently most the drama around this hit some time ago. Back when the test build initially got leaked:

A test build was leaked by a member of the Quality Assurance team on August 2, 2012. As a result, Mane6 announced it was cancelling all plans of external testing and suspending video updates about the game's features for the foreseeable future. However, they released a clarification and FAQ the next day, saying that they overreacted some, and that while they were still replacing their entire QA team (to ensure no further leaks), they don't hate the fans for downloading and playing the leak. Also, they stated that the Canterlot Gardens con "is still go".