Tales of Maj'Eyal: Wolves With Bows

edited 2014-02-05 13:53:45 in General Media
Because obviously every roguelike on Earth needs a thread here. Anyway.

What is ToME?

The best way to describe ToME is 2 parts roguelike, 1 part Diablolike. Instead of consumable hoarding, a'la most roguelikes, healing is handled by either resting (the game has no food system, so for all but a few rare exceptions, you can rest whenever it's safe.), using "infusions"/"runes", special skills found as loot and applied to the player, or natural regeneration. Classes each have their own unique skillsets, as well as shared generic sets that vary depending on your race and class. Skills use a cooldown system (this is where the Diablo part comes in), as well as a stamina/mana/whathaveyou cost.

This sounds nothing like a roguelike at all!

The game is still turn-based, the dungeons (and loot, and rare/elite enemies) are still randomised, and permadeath is still a thing that happens. (At least on roguelike mode. Adventurer mode, the default, gives you a few extra lives, just in case.)

Ok, I'm sold. Where do I get it?

You can either get it for free here, or buy it on Steam here.

What do I get for buying the game?

You get the following: Exploration mode (unlimited lives, but you can't unlock new classes or races), the Item Vault (once you get to a certain part of the game, you can share items between characters.), the Stone Warden class for dwarves, and the ability to change your tile appearance to pretty much any character. Also the satisfaction of paying the developers.

Now, have some screenshots.

imageimageimage

Comments

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I feel like we've tried a ToME thing before and not many people seemed interested...

Regardless, I really like it. It's an excellent roguelike.
  • edited 2014-02-05 14:56:07
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I think it's been mentioned in the general games thread way back, but I don't think we've ever had a thread for it.

Anyway, I've been playing Shalore Alchemists recently, also known as "Golem please stop rushing those crystals so I can actually get out of the Scintillating Caves alive."
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    So: What's more tedious and boring than the Sandworm Lair? The alternate version of the Sandworm Lair! Because what that place needed was to be harder to navigate.
    Cornac Cursed is fun. Squishy as hell at the start, but early Rampage makes up for that somewhat, and when they properly get rolling they're just an unstoppable hate-powered murdertrain.
    Yeah, the Sandworm Lair is completely terrible.

Remember to always bring a teleport (or a way to breathe in sand), else you'll be fucked.

You ever get the feeling that the game hates you?
    On the other hand, if you were an Alchemist in this situation, free exp!
    Sadly, that shot ended up in her death, since the Minotaur of the Labyrinth decided to join the party too.

Thank the stars for Nova and Hurricane. And Time Shield and Aegis, actually.

Catalepsy status: Hilarious.