General Conversation Thread

edited 2014-01-29 21:41:15 in Talk
Note the title. Conversation, not shitposting.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    BATMAN
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It kind of upsets me that "Batman's parents are dead" jokes are so widespread
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Alright, actual conversations, eh?

So, on the subject of Batman, who here has seen the 60s Batman movie with Adam West? That movie is quite wonderful thanks to all the cheese. I love it.
  • Bunny said:

Alright, actual conversations, eh?

So, on the subject of Batman, who here has seen the 60s Batman movie with Adam West? That movie is quite wonderful thanks to all the cheese. I love it.
    I saw it years ago. Can't say I remember all that much about it.
  • I have a friend who has listed it as his favorite movie multiple times but I have never seen it.
  • It is the best batman movie.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Anonus said:

It kind of upsets me that "Batman's parents are dead" jokes are so widespread

In general, you're not big on dark humour, are you?

i remember you weren't happy about Mami jokes, either.
    I dunno, it just seems kind of insensitive...

I guess it didn't help that Mami finally felt loved...then she died. And then Homura just matter-of-factly speaks about the fact that she flat-out ceased to exist and nobody will notice...
  • I think that intentional offhandedness is part of why people think the series is impactful, but I haven't watched it myself so I can't say for sure.
  • edited 2014-01-29 22:57:13
    Various people have suggested or been bugging me to watch MadoMagi.

I think fourteenwings at IJBM finally convinced me to acquire it.  So I have it now.  Still haven't started it.  Other than like 5 minutes lol.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I watched the first few e.pisodes and then my attention span gave out

Need to go back and finish it at some point...
  • edited 2014-01-30 05:01:14
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    It's one of very few anime series i really, really like.

Admittedly that's at least in part because i was at a very low point when i watched it and i found it therapeutic.
    i confess that jokes about things like Batman's parents are kind of funny to me, in part because it's so blatantly insensitive.  It's like 'oh no you didn't' you know?  It's funny because you went there.

If they were real people i wouldn't be OK with that, but i guess i don't really think people's 'feeeeeeels' because of some comic book or whatever are so precious that they shouldn't be able to take the odd joke at their expense.  If they can't, that's their problem.
    But people go there so often that it loses its edge...
  • edited 2014-01-30 05:08:24
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Eh, true, i suppose.

i feel like i'm always at least one step behind everyone else here where original comedy is concerned, because i don't really read other websites with any regularity.

That applies to serious discussion too.  Like discovering something people are tired of hearing about for the first time, that's an uncomfortable feeling.
    Don't I know it...
  • What is the difference between this and Trash Heap, I wonder?
    No shitposting allowed.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I think that intentional offhandedness is part of why people think the series is impactful, but I haven't watched it myself so I can't say for sure.

You should, if only for the animation direction, which is breathtaking. (Incidentally, said director was also behind Pani Poni Dash, which you have expressed a fondness for, although here he is less frenetic and more atmospheric.)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/03/us/politics/supreme-court-ruling-on-campaign-contributions.html?hpw&rref=politics&_r=2

>“They would be delighted to see fewer television commercials touting a candidate’s accomplishments or disparaging an opponent’s character,” the chief justice wrote. “Money in politics may at times seem repugnant to some, but so, too, does much of what the First Amendment vigorously protects. If the First Amendment protects flag burning, funeral protests and Nazi parades — despite the profound offense such spectacles cause — it surely protects political campaign speech despite popular opposition.”

ughhh

the thing is that "money = speech" is a perversion of democracy
    It really, really is, especially because of how it prioritises the speech of the wealthy so greatly over what the public at large has to say, particularly its poorest members.
  • Your criticism of that idea sounds like the philosophy behind the plot to Elysium, which I still haven't seen

but yeah, the wealthy folk in that get to live in Space Paradise while everyone else is stuck on overpopulated Earth
    I'm worried that I don't understand what the FCC wants to do enough to have a problem with it...maybe I haven't been following this enough.
    It's kind of frustrating that furries have long gotten short shrift from nerd culture and the mainstream at large.

Not talking about the sexual aspect - it's just a bit weird to me that nerds have never shied away from things that are usually considered to be for children, but somehow humanoid animals are just a bit TOO juvenile for regular nerds.
    It's the sexual aspect and the nature of the subculture, I think, more than the anthropomorphism. No-one has any complaints about Maus, or stuff like Rice Boy. But this colours far more innocent things, or things that simply have a lot of independent merit, in a rather unfortunate way.

But furries aren't that much of a target any more.
  • ULTRA-RAD HACKER REFUGEE FROM THE FUTURE
    watching stuff with anthropomorphic animals just makes me feel uncomfortable, with the only real exceptions being Looney Tunes and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

and that was true even long before I knew anything about furries, so I can't blame it on mental association.
  • edited 2014-10-26 04:07:10
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The sexual aspect seems to be what defines it for many - makes people think of a social taboo, seems to intrude on people's idea of childhood innocence...

I do kind of wonder if the MLP fandom has taken the furry fandom's place as the big punching bag - the perception that people are bringing juvenilia into a place where it doesn't belong, juvenilia for GIRLS no less...

watching stuff with anthropomorphic animals just makes me feel uncomfortable, with the only real exceptions being Looney Tunes and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

and that was true even long before I knew anything about furries, so I can't blame it on mental association.
    why does it make you feel uncomfortable?
  • edited 2014-10-26 04:08:18
    ULTRA-RAD HACKER REFUGEE FROM THE FUTURE
    the problem with bronies (at least the stereotypical ones) is that they take something that is very much for young girls and proceed to step all over it and make it for adult men.

there is a lot wrong with that, especially when it's done deliberately--as it often is in the case of Bronies--and especially especially when it's done maliciously, as it sometimes is in the case of bronies.
    El Kabong said:

why does it make you feel uncomfortable?
    it just does, man.

it's like eating ice cream with ketchup on it. It's not like, morally wrong, but most people would agree it's weird.
    Yeah, I don't have a problem with more adult fan works and whatnot, so long as there is an understanding that the show is for young girls and those children should not be exposed to that stuff. But the entitlement that some of these fans show is just astounding.

As for things with anthropomorphic animals... I always kind of wanted to be an animal, so it was a draw, but a lot of shows in that vein are really not my bag, at least as an adult. Now, comics, on the other hand, are a different matter.
    I also find it interesting how the French/Benelux and Japanese/Korean equivalents to the English-speaking furry fandom are significantly less marginalised, if not necessarily as distinct from the greater comics and animation fandom.

the problem with bronies (at least the stereotypical ones) is that they take something that is very much for young girls and proceed to step all over it and make it for adult men.

there is a lot wrong with that, especially when it's done deliberately--as it often is in the case of Bronies--and especially especially when it's done maliciously, as it sometimes is in the case of bronies.
    that too

Furries seem to like dark-toned action shows like SWAT Kats and Sonic SatAM a lot...
    It really depends on the group you're talking to? I guess I run in weird circles, but there's at least one dude I know who's into bara and old magical girl shows.
  • i dont think i've ever actually met a swat kats fan
    Seamus/PlutoniumFist is one...
    Good for him. I have no problem with people liking stuff. I'm just saying that different people like different stuff.
  • Some people have asked what wonderposting (a.k.a. shitposting) means to me.

In part, I think it carries a sort of air of nonseriousness and silliness.

Like, if I say something that inadvertently references a meme, I full well expect that reference to be exploited by a subsequent post -- and solely because it would be amusing to do so.
  • Probably my favorite form of humor is the kind that passes you by and then makes you do a double-take and think about it again.
  • I find television programming stereotypically aimed at adult males more offensive than television programming stereotypically aimed at adult females.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    men's stuff always seems to follow the 3 B's: boobs, butts, and beer. :P
  • I thought it was boobs, bullets, and beer.
    fighting, fleeing, feeding and fucking
    ^^ the 4 'b's, then
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I forgot about the bullets :(
    or i guess 'babes' is probably suitably objectifying and consolidates two of those 'b's into one
  • fighting, fleeing, feeding and fucking

The guy running the local Bhakti Yoga club terms this "eating, sleeping, mating, and defending".
    which is not alliterative and therefore inferior
  • edited 2015-10-30 17:48:40
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/10/30/1435204/-Ohio-Republicans-give-voters-a-chance-to-reform-legislative-redistricting-but-buyer-beware

quoting Centie's post here just to flag her since I don't know how to flag spaced usernames

I watched the first few e.pisodes and then my attention span gave out

Need to go back and finish it at some point...

Quoting a post doesn't result in a notification.