shoot em ups!!!

edited 2013-08-29 03:13:42 in General
this is a nice op

;D

Comments

• edited 2013-12-14 02:50:02
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    This is a thread about shoot em ups, 2D shooters, scrolling shooters, or "shmups."

Here is an excellent and thorough article on the genre and its history.

Here is another excellent article that may help the uninitiated better understand the genre and fandom.

Anywaysssss, this is where we can talk about shmups. Yes. :3
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Shmups are fun because there is a high level of challenge and a culture of competitive scoring. They also are very short in general, allowing for quick play-throughs! Miko enjoys the extreme gameplay and, as GMH puts it, the "spectacle." :)

Miko is a Touhou nutter by trade, but also enjoys similar "bullet hells" by Cave. Miko is also an avid fan of doujin shooters in general, some of which are quite impressive, like Hellsinker and the Alltynex series.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • edited 2013-08-29 22:33:47
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    It's ⑨! :D
  • I don't say as much super-often, but I'm quite fond of the Gradius franchise.
  • I have Life Force on my Wii. It's fun. It's also pretty difficult and frustrating.
  • edited 2013-08-29 22:46:46
    Gradius, the classic series where you are a power-house until you get hit, and then you have to go back half a stage with no weapons, and then you lose all of your lives. ^_^ I've played it very little but I've watched people play it some. Gradius games are a little long and slow for my taste but still classic.

Life Force/Salamander is a Gradius spin-off, if you didn't know. :)
  • I HAVE PLAYED SOME VIDEO GAMES WITH SHOOTING. BUT NOT MANY. MY MOTHER DISLIKES GAMES WITH SHOOTING. AS A CHILD SHE MADE SURE I DID NOT GET THE GAMES WITH SHOOTING.I HAVE CAPS LOCK ON AND AM TOO LAZY TO TURN IT OFF SO I AM WRITING THIS AS CALIBORN.

tumut
    also someone made a Mario level based on Gradius

as you can see from 11:40 onward

if you wish
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    There is a Mario level based on everything, maybe. :3
    Probably.
    I found a really neat video series that gives a history of this genre. ^_^

oh btw I did finally beat Gradius. :p
  • edited 2013-09-26 12:30:40
    lol the last vid is blocked in my country because Fair Use does not exist in America.
  • edited 2013-09-26 12:44:20
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I can watch it...

No wait, you're right! BASTARDS
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i can watch it

but i'm not that into video games and shmups are not my favourite genre
    they talk about Radiant Silvergun, if you're interested

apparently it was significant
  • Radiant Silvergun is a good game.

One might call it the Dark Souls of shmups Kappa.
    Radiant Silvergun is neat-o. It also amuses me that the only two shmups Treasure ever made (not counting Gradius V, which they did for Konami) are two of the most acclaimed (the other being Ikaruga).
  • edited 2013-12-14 02:53:34
    http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/understanding-scrolling-shooters/

I like this article. :) It is a good introduction to some of the more esoteric (to the uninitiated) aspects of appreciating these games. I added it to the second post in this thread.
  • man I still want fricken Ikaruga on steam already

get on it volvo
  • Volvo?

Anyway i see to have been playing a lot of shmups lately.  I think Ether Vapor Remaster and Flying Red Barrel convinced me that they're not just for hardcore players and that some shmups are accessible to sucky players like me.

Flying Red Barrel I started playing several months ago and I kinda got stuck, but more recently I got through Ether Vapor Remaster, eXceed 1st, eXceed 3rd, and RefleX, and have gotten pretty far into eXceed 2nd.

Volvo?

• what does that have to do with Ikaruga?
    volvo meaning valve

Volvo?

Anyway i see to have been playing a lot of shmups lately.  I think Ether Vapor Remaster and Flying Red Barrel convinced me that they're not just for hardcore players and that some shmups are accessible to sucky players like me.

Flying Red Barrel I started playing several months ago and I kinda got stuck, but more recently I got through Ether Vapor Remaster, eXceed 1st, eXceed 3rd, and RefleX, and have gotten pretty far into eXceed 2nd.

yay :) Your skill level doesn't matter when you approach a game, as long as you're trying new things. When I started playing Touhou, I was really bad at it, but I still had lots of fun. :3
  • :)

@Tachyon: the thing is, Volvo has actually published a videogame.  It's the one free game on GamersGate.
    :D
  • Come near me and I'll kill you!
    Nice to hear.

I remember playing a lot of STGs a few years ago, but right now, I'm starting to get back to them. Ring ^-27 is my current obsession as of now. (Think Crimzon Clover meets Hellsinker with retro styled graphics.)

Generally, I prefer STGs with a lot of weapons (Suguri and sora come to mind), but a nice way to get me addicted to an STG is having a neat scoring system. (I'm looking at you, Raizing's Bat series. (Garegga, Batrider, and Bakraid).)
    I hadn't heard of that one but it looks fun and has nice music! It looks like something I could get into. Also, Crimzon Clover and Hellsinker are both awesome sauce.

The Bat series is some of the best STGs ever. :D

hmm, I've always loved the beauty and elegance of Touhou, since that is what I started with. I branched out, of course, and I have a shmup library of literally dozens. What I really like in a STG is a fun scoring system with high potential, lots of challenge, some uniqueness, and the amazing feeling of taking on the impossible.

My own current obsession is Deathsmiles. The scoring system is absolutely orgasmic, the bosses are weird and hilarious, and it has the usual epic Cave sadism. :D
    neato
  • I like easy shmups because I prefer games I can reasonably finish.

This is probably why I'm a big fan of the second Gradius.
  • I suck at Ikaruga.
    But is it fun to suck? :D
    there is no SFW way to respond to that
  • if there were an NSFW way to talk about chains, I would.

but yeah, it's fun.