Gengar

edited 2013-08-19 06:54:32 in General Media
Gengar is pretty rad.

Comments

• y'know

I've never really played Pokeymanz beyond the first part in Pearl where you pick your starter

but I've always thought Gengar was pretty cool lookin'
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Gengar, one of the few Pokémon from Gen I that is still viable even today.
  • Yeah, until you pull out your Tyranitar or Blissey.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    And both of those are stopped dead by Breloom, Terrakion, or Lucario. Your point?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Tre said:

y'know

I've never really played Pokeymanz beyond the first part in Pearl where you pick your starter

but I've always thought Gengar was pretty cool lookin'
    Maybe you should try it.

It's fun.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

pokefloats.
  • Super Mario World modders can do the most amazing things, can't they.
  • You will find me if you want me in the garden unless its pouring down with rain.

Gengar was my favorite pokemon, next to Machamp.
  • What cartoon character is Gengar imitating?
    Acererak said:

Super Mario World modders can do the most amazing things, can't they.

It's not SMW, it's Super Mario Bros. X.

But I thought it was amusing
  • did someone call me

Gengar was my favorite pokemon, next to Machamp.

...Is that supposed to be Tomoko Kuroki?
  • sunn wolf said:

did someone call me

No

-uses Shadow Ball-
  • edited 2013-08-23 12:25:27

Gengar, one of the few Pokémon from Gen I that is still viable even today.

Lots of Gen 1 Pokemon are viable, but Gengar has been viable in every single generation.

This is, of course, because ghost type is best type.
  • You will find me if you want me in the garden unless its pouring down with rain.
    Is fighting pokemon still useless?
  • edited 2013-08-23 19:16:43
    As of gen 5 they're the best offensive type in the game.
  • Bumping!

Gengar is cool.
    pokefloats.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-12 16:05:44

Lots of Gen 1 Pokemon are viable, but Gengar has been viable in every single generation. 

Weren't they utter shit in Gen 1 because psychics beat goddamn everything since all their supposed "counters" were bad and also poison, and ghost type was broken and had one hilariously awful move?  Literally the only good thing about them was being immune to normal attacks, but they had such terrible defenses that they could be oneshot by just about any typed physical.

I guess maybe as a special sweeper?  But he wasn't quite fast or powerful enough for that, and had no survivability.

Gengar is good now because psychics have legitimate counters now, ghosts suddenly have attacks, and Gengar's line gets Levitate.  But old ghosts...no, not even a little bit.
  • Gen 1 metagame was weird. T-bolt was so common. @_@
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-12 16:55:41
    So was Earthquake.  Thus, Gengar being even more shit.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i hate the metagame

i just wanna play with Pokémon i like
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

i hate the metagame

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Tachyon said:

i hate the metagame

replace "hate" with "don't care about" for me
  • i hate that nintendo is now actively targeting the older generation of pokemon fans by cashing in on years of nostalgia and arguably undeserved goodwill (recall that nintendo only publishes the pokemon games) in order to get everyone to buy a mobile game that will probably be mediocre at absolute best since it's not being developed by gamefreak.

but y'know, here we are.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-12 17:57:07
    Meh.  Every company has done that.

Hell, Squenix, Capcom, and even Insomniac jumped on the freemium train.

i hate that nintendo is now actively targeting the older generation of pokemon fans by cashing in on years of nostalgia and arguably undeserved goodwill (recall that nintendo only publishes the pokemon games) in order to get everyone to buy a mobile game that will probably be mediocre at absolute best since it's not being developed by gamefreak.

but y'know, here we are.
    this is gonna sound rude but like

i don't care about this

it's not a nice thing, but i don't want it so i don't care about it
    idk sometimes i just want to enjoy my fictional worlds in peace without worrying about dumb things nintendo or whoever did
  • Bee said:

Meh.  Every company has done that.

Hell, Squenix, Capcom, and even Insomniac jumped on the freemium train.
    yeah but people will actually buy this one

cuz it's nintendo, and nintendo can do whatever they want, since they're nazrin nintendo
    they held out on it for a while, didn't they?

the moral high ground isn't competitive
  • i don't care that they're making it, i care that everyone i know is going to buy it because it's nintendo, play the shit out of it because it's nintendo, and talk about it constantly because it's nintendo
  • i have just realized that this is how odradek feels about mcu fans
    well i played Hyrule Warriors cuz it was Zelda despite it not actually being, y'know, Zelda, so i guess i'm part of the problem, if it's really a problem
  • i more have a problem with them selling a level editor for $60 and people somehow, for some fucking reason, buying it
  • i more have a problem with them selling a level editor for $60 and people somehow, for some fucking reason, buying it

(i'm also told that in mario maker you have to unlock most of the level tools by playing other peoples' levels, which lol)
    that is pretty scummy, yeah

sorry, i just, idk, i like Pokémon, i don't like feeling like i am some kind of scummy 'content consumer' for that reason

i'm not going to buy the mobile game, i'm not going to stick up for nintendo, i just kinda would like that not to tarnish my enjoyment of pokemon itself, if you get what i mean

sorry for defensive
  • Tachyon said:

that is pretty scummy, yeah

sorry, i just, idk, i like Pokémon, i don't like feeling like i am some kind of scummy 'content consumer' for that reason

i'm not going to buy the mobile game, i'm not going to stick up for nintendo, i just kinda would like that not to tarnish my enjoyment of pokemon itself, if you get what i mean

sorry for defensive

pokemon is fine

i just wish people would realize that does not obligate them to buy every pokething
    i think you would have to be fabulously wealthy to buy every pokething

not that i doubt such people exist, you get rich nerds who will collect anything
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-12 18:50:14

i more have a problem with them selling a level editor for $60 and people somehow, for some fucking reason, buying it

Well it does legitimize something that was already going on in a less-than-legal capacity.  It's the kind of gray area that results in random people getting cracked down on because companies are legally obligated to defend IP in ways they don't always want to.  And if certain trade deals pass, it will be more so.

I guess I'm sympathetic to the market strategy of "here's this thing people enjoy that currently has no legal market, so let's make one".  At least as far as entertainment goes.

Well it does legitimize something that was already going on in a less-than-legal capacity.  It's the kind of gray area that results in random people getting cracked down on because companies are legally obligated to defend IP in ways they don't always want to.  And if
    certain trade deals pass, it will be more so.
    this would be valid if it were A) a resonable price, which sixty fucking dollars is not and B) not strictly worse in every capacity than its grey market counterparts.

I guess I'm sympathetic to the market strategy of "here's this thing people enjoy that currently has no legal market, so let's make one".  At least as far as entertainment goes.

I am decidedly not.
    sixty bucks for a Mario level designer? which apparently isn't even as good as that buggy piece of unfinished crap SMBX? goddammit Nintendo
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Calica said:

Tachyon said:

i hate the metagame

replace "hate" with "don't care about" for me
  • sixty bucks for a Mario level designer? which apparently isn't even as good as that buggy piece of unfinished crap SMBX? goddammit Nintendo

Basically
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-12 19:33:43

this would be valid if it were A) a resonable price, which sixty fucking dollars is not and B) not strictly worse in every capacity than its grey market counterparts.

A) is hardly unique to this game. High cost of games has been chafing since before I was born, has only recently started to have low-cost alternatives.  I remember when the original SMB was $40-$60, and that was two and a half decades of inflation ago and took maybe an hour to burn through the whole thing.

B) is...lolwut? It's a pretty tremendous amount of resources in a user-friendly way, gives you access to multiple engines, at least one of which previous romhacks couldn't emulate at all, expands the older engines to allow things they formerly weren't capable of (original engine having vertical scroll, powerups that respond to level physics, etc), and centralizes the community in a capacity that's both officially sanctioned and allows users to downrate the spam.

Plus, it will come packaged with more levels than most of the original games ever had in the first place.  The default level set is bigger than the original release of Mario World, even if you never touch the editor yourself or go online at all.

The main downside is unlocking shit, which I'll grant is stupid.  But again, given that the default content is in many ways larger than most of the previous full-out games, it's difficult to be bitter about that.
    idk about you Jane but i *did* find SMBX kinda unintuitive and difficult to use, though probably it's not so hard if you have game design experience

i don't know how Nintendo's product compares on that front, it's crazy expensive though.
  • Bee said:

Weren't they utter shit in Gen 1 because psychics beat goddamn everything since all their supposed "counters" were bad and also poison, and ghost type was broken and had one hilariously awful move?  Literally the only good thing about them was being immune to normal attacks, but they had such terrible defenses that they could be oneshot by just about any typed physical.

I guess maybe as a special sweeper?  But he wasn't quite fast or powerful enough for that, and had no survivability.

Gengar is good now because psychics have legitimate counters now, ghosts suddenly have attacks, and Gengar's line gets Levitate.  But old ghosts...no, not even a little bit.
    Gengar was known in Gen 1 for its special and speed, and was considered OU.

Source: http://www.smogon.com/dex/rb/pokemon/gengar/
  • It was OU in Gen 1 because of Hypnosis bullshit yes