Pictured: Sexism

edited 2013-08-17 00:14:10 in General
Here's a bonus:

Damn you, Hasbro! 

Comments

• I don't get it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Spitfire, the mare, is the captain of the Wonderbolts and Soarin', the stallion, would be the "speedy member", but for some reason they've swapped the pictures.
  • I still don't get it.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    The male is the captain despite the fact that it should be the female.

Honestly, my card up there of                    is probably a bigger deal.
  • Didn't Derpy have an actual name that wasn't fucking Derpy?

It was thought she would get the name "Ditzy Doo" before "Derpy Hooves" was made canon.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    And then un-canonized. :)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The thing that gets me the most about the whole Derpy debacle (aside from just how plain stupid it all was) is that it would never have even been a thing if one of the animators had caught the mistake in the very first episode.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    That is true. :p
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Knowing nothing about ponies whatsoever, I was clued in by the bright orange mane.
  • ...actually, now that I stared at them for a few more seconds I guess it makes sense that the one with the smaller chin is female.

Before that, if you pop-quizzed me on the gender of Soarin and Spitfire, I wouldn't be able to pony up an answer.
  • The thing that gets me the most about the whole Derpy debacle (aside from just how plain stupid it all was) is that it would never have even been a thing if one of the animators had caught the mistake in the very first episode.

So

I kind of want to know what happened with Derpy in a Heaper's own words.

To my knowledge, wasn't it just a bunch of people flipping out over a character being stupid because that automatically is ableist humor now?
  • (Wow, that sounded really fedora-y. For the record, yes, I know of people who honestly believe that using stupidity for the sake of humor is inherently ableist.)
  • i would say that the original really seemed to be making fun of her, but that is just my perception

what happened was that they want back and changed the episode after someone who was upset sent a nice, respectful message to the peeps who made the show.

said person then received many a death threat
  • I'm still confused.
  • edited 2013-08-18 01:24:57

ok:

derpy showed up in an episode and got a speaking role.

some people were upset by her characterization, so hasbro changed that part, and the people who requested that it be changed were threatened and harassed and everyone had a bitch-fit because cartoon horses merit that type of behavior.

Capiche?
  • also some people were upset that she got canonized as derpy because apparently derp is ableist and yeah i agree that that is stupid, but i do agree that on the whole this performance was in poor taste
  • So basically everyone sucks.

Only some people suck in a slightly annoying, sortakinda justified way, and other people are just all around terrible.
  • Although tbh I'm not really seeing how the performance was in bad taste.

But MLP is one of the few things I have literally no investment whatsoever in so I'mma not make a big deal of this.
  • eh, if someone gets bullied in school using the word "derp" I can totally see them not wanting a children's cartoon about love and acceptance normalizing their slur.
  • Ooooooh. So it was about the use of the word derp in a children's cartoon.

That I can kind of understand.
  • edited 2013-08-18 01:35:54
    (flower path)
    well I don't know the exact details of the complaints, actually.  I mostly saw the people who liked the name Derpy being complete pricks about it all, and I'm reconstructing that part as best I can without having to actually watch MLP.
  • I've always found that MLP is a good barometer for the evils that lurk in the internet. At least, the ones in the same category as MLP fans.

It is a show where the depth is almost entirely fan-created, so most of it is produced by the fans projecting their own thoughts and preconceptions onto it. There's very little that supports any specific race, ethnicity, religion or orientation for any of the ponies. So, there's very little excuse for the guy who insists that Twilight Sparkle can't be or shouldn't be black.

I once wrote a much longer dissertation on this oddity, but it's lost to the data vampires now
  • I mean, I don't consider "derp" a slur, but bad things happen when young children learn words like that.
  • You mean young children don't know those words already?
  • Well, there's a difference between knowing a word and having the glorious Rainbow Dash whisper it into your delicate earlobes.
  • I've always found that MLP is a good barometer for the evils that lurk in the internet. At least, the ones in the same category as MLP fans.

It is a show where the depth is almost entirely fan-created, so most of it is produced by the fans projecting their own thoughts and preconceptions onto it. There's very little that supports any specific race, ethnicity, religion or orientation for any of the ponies. So, there's very little excuse for the guy who insists that Twilight Sparkle can't be or shouldn't be black.

I once wrote a much longer dissertation on this oddity, but it's lost to the data vampires now

I remember someone complaining about some mlp humanization that tried to be ethnically diverse and such and some prickhead complaining that the ethnicities seemed "picked at random" i.e. they didn't conform to precious stereotypes.  what a prick.
  • There used to be a tumblr that documented those kind of jerks.

Mostly issues about racial stuff, though there was the occasional fit about Derpy.

I think the biggest issue with giving ponies races is that the show decided to make zebras 'african' with Zecora and buffalo 'native american' with that tribe in that one episode with the settlers. Once you start associating certain species with certain cultures or races, especially in a show like My Little Pony, it's going to be assumed that the default species (ponies) is the default race (white, anglo-saxon)
  • I just remember this person interacting with saccharinescorpion/latia
  • there were the saddle arabians, which were ponies:

I kidna like the idea of Twilight Sparkle as Indian (dot not feather).

I heard part of the issue was the voice actress thought Derpy was supposed to be male. 

Honestly, I wish they kept the name, but I prefer the voice of the newer version, anyhow.
    Honestly the Derpy scene annoyed me from the beginning, because (a) it was a pretty obvious shoehorned attempt at pandering to adult viewers, and (b) the people fawning over it drowned out discussion of the rest of the episode for a while, which was disappointing because it was a pretty good episode. (This was back when I still at least glanced at Equestria Daily.)

Also someone's reaction image pointed out that a fake, cartoon, horse nation that accurately depicted Saudi Arabian, cartoon horses would never have a woman in power.

Which is true, but really, really, silly looking to type out.

Honestly the Derpy scene annoyed me from the beginning, because (a) it was a pretty obvious shoehorned attempt at pandering to adult viewers, and (b) the people fawning over it drowned out discussion of the rest of the episode for a while, which was disappointing because it was a pretty good episode. (This was back when I still at least glanced at Equestria Daily.)
    Derpy was a tad over the top for my liking.

I'm not saying there was anything morally wrong with her depiction, per se. But I never pegged her for full on Patrick Star stupid.
  • > I remember someone complaining about some mlp humanization that
    tried to be ethnically diverse and such and some prickhead complaining
    that the ethnicities seemed "picked at random" i.e. they didn't conform
    to precious stereotypes.  what a prick.

Would have been even nicer if they really were picked at random just to prove a point.

Now that would be a fly-by burn.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Justice: Yeah, I cringed when I looked up the original Derpy scene on YouTube and watched it. Her original portrayal made Patrick look like a Rhodes Scholar.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHHHAHHAHAHA

saddle arabians

HHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAA

So, I think it's become a running gag with the various creators of MLP merch that "Derpy" is never named ever:
    imageimage

She's also known as "everyone's favorite pony" on the Free-to-play mobile game.

This has gone from ridiculous to hilarious in my eyes.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i liked the original Derpy scene. :v
    also swapping the wonderbolts around strikes me as just a lazy error

tho i guess it's plausible that sexist assumptions
  • edited 2013-09-21 07:36:57
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Those figurines look horrifying.
    Heh, I figured someone would say that

Heh, I figured someone would say that

figured

Tachyon said:

also swapping the wonderbolts around strikes me as just a lazy error

tho i guess it's plausible that sexist assumptions

It's probably the former, I was just having a bit of fun.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I like Derpy and I like the original scene.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Derpy is adorable in the one scene she'll ever have, yeah.
  • For some reason, the above-posted Youtube video caused me to watch "GLaDOS is to Blame".