DANGAN RONPA

edited 2013-10-31 17:42:00 in General
A Japanese visual novel for PSP that is a sort of mix between horror and murder mystery. The premise is that fifteen "super high school level" teenagers that are extraordinary in some way find themselves mysteriously trapped in a communal lifestyle in their school building, and their headmaster, the villainous Monokuma ("Monobear" in English), tries to manipulate them into killing one another, promising rewards (including escape) to the student that can commit murder and get away with it. There is a lot of tense psychology and a lot of mystery solving; it is a really interesting plot.

The cast of characters is what got me interested, and kept me interested. It is colorful and eccentric, to say the least, but nearly every character is a lot more complex than they seem at first. Their interactions are amusing as well as interesting. There is some choice in the gameplay that allows the main character, Naegi, to choose who to build friendships with, but it has no impact on the overall plot, instead contributing only to revealing some unnecessary backstories and unlocking easter eggs, but this is still interesting.

Though there is no official English release, there is an excellent translated screenshot LP on Something Awful that also includes all the music tracks in the appropriate places, and videos of all the movies and debates in the game (the interactive "debates" are very cinematic). There are also many notes about cultural references and context.

For those who find SA's paywall (or just SA) annoying, there is also an English translation patch by fans, as well as youtube vids of the translation patch for those who don't want to deal with custom firmware.

The game was fairly popular, so it has spawned a sequel and a media franchise, including a prequel novel and an anime adaptation.

So, this is my thread for talking about Dangan Ronpa. :)

Please keep spoilers to a minimum, censor them, and tag them as such.

Comments