2 worst lessons Honey I Shrunk the Kids taught us

edited 2013-06-18 17:06:52 in General
1. Anty is a good name for an ant.

2. Rick Moranis? lol i dunno

Hire me Cracked

Comments

• Let's play the "what's Odradek complaining about this time" game.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think the joke is kind of self-evident in this case.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Kexruct said:

Let's play the "what's Odradek complaining about this time" game.

Oh come on, this one's fairly straightforward...
  • He usually has a very specific thing. I mean, that he was complaining about Cracked was self evident; I wanted to know the specific article.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Odradek, you should stop reading Cracked and start reading The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    MLP:FiM taught me that I can lie and ignore my friends for the sake of increasing my social status and that note only would I not suffer any repercussions, I'd come out ahead.

It also taught me that even if one of my friends has a mental disorder, they can overcome it when needed to prove that they love me.

In addition, elaborate passive-aggressive conspires are the best method for dealing with friends when they start exhibiting unwanted behaviors.

But, to be fair to FiM, this is 3 broken aesops out of 65 episodes + some comics, so it's still batting with a pretty high average.
    (2015 self)

In
    addition, elaborate passive-aggressive conspires are the best method
    for dealing with friends when they start exhibiting unwanted behaviors.

Which episode is this?

The Mysterious Mare Do Well.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four taught me not to bother trying to resist the bad guys because they'll always find a way to utterly crush you.

Raiders of the Lost Ark taught me not to concern myself about the bad guys winning because God will just melt their faces off anyway.

Finnegans Wake taught me that if you're a big enough figure in the literary world, you can write whatever incomprehensible babbling you want and still be considered a genius

I'm guessing 1984 was more of a warning for the reader, but the ending certainly was depressing.

Never thought about that for Radiers...

• edited 2013-06-17 17:56:10
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I got the references to Mysterious Mare-Do-Well and that one episode where Rarity tries to fit in with the snooty Canterlot people, but which one is the mental illness one?

Too Many Pinkie Pies: Twilight's solution is to make Pinkie sit still and ignore all distractions around her. The penalty for failure is banishment to the pond.

I'm going on a limb here and suggesting that maybe Pinkie Pie qualifies for having ADHD.

I love that piece of fan-art.

Honestly, it's pretty close to what actually happened.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Did people complain when Fluttershy learned that you can overcome crippling phobias if you love your friends enough?
  • edited 2013-06-18 02:22:20
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Which episode is this? 

Assuming you're thinking of something Dragon related, I think the instances do show a lack of understanding from her friends (though, part of the issue in Dragonshy is she didn't actually tell them what the problem was until they where about to face the dragon).

One of the horrifying things about Pinkie's case is if she so much as looks in the wrong direction, she's banished. Honestly, I'm kinda amazed no pony spoke up about this being a horrible plan. Plenty of ways it could go wrong and the consequences are tremendous if it does.

(2015 self)
    Yeah, let's make Pinkie do something really hard for her, and then kill her if she fails.  That's not wrong at all.

For a metaphor, we might as well make Twilight go around a place with all the paintings hanging crooked, all the streets crooked, everything in disorder, and no books or studying or organization at all; and if she fails, she dies.

Or make Applejack try to do anything right, anything at all, without making a fool of herself.  IF she makes a fool of herself, she dies.

The second Fluttershy situation where she's being literally dragged against her will to attend a dragon watching certainly shows a lack of awareness on behalf of some of the other ponies.

I'm guessing it doesn't come up as much because it was a throw away gag (in which Fluttershy eventully escapes), rather than an entire episode or major plot point. 
  • y'know, if the cracked website went down, i would just kinda laugh

then stop giving a shit about whether it's down or not
  • though i'd probably do the same about somethingawful
  • i'm being an offensive goat, aren't i
  • i'm being an offensive goat, aren't i

Something like that, some would say it's awfully offensive
  • HavenHaven
    approves Aliroz said:Yeah, let's make Pinkie do something really hard for her, and then kill h...
    edited 2014-03-10 19:15:10
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    /me approves
    Aliroz said:

Yeah, let's make Pinkie do something really hard for her, and then kill her if she fails.  That's not wrong at all.

For a metaphor, we might as well make Twilight go around a place with all the paintings hanging crooked, all the streets crooked, everything in disorder, and no books or studying or organization at all; and if she fails, she dies.

Or make Applejack try to do anything right, anything at all, without making a fool of herself.  IF she makes a fool of herself, she dies.

Dear Princess Celestia, today I learned all about the Saw school of psychotherapy.

Having rewatched the episode. The blow is softened somewhat by the fact that Pinkie herself suggests it.

Though, someone still should have raised a red flag given Pinkie's nature and the fact that a clone might have very well suggested it.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

The second Fluttershy situation where she's being literally dragged against her will to attend a dragon watching certainly shows a lack of awareness on behalf of some of the other ponies.

I'm guessing it doesn't come up as much because it was a throw away gag (in which Fluttershy eventully escapes), rather than an entire episode or major plot point. 
    I always found it kind of amusing that Fluttershy isn't seen again for the remainder of the episode (outside of the picture at the end)...

Having rewatched the episode. The blow is softened somewhat by the fact that Pinkie herself suggests it.

Though, someone still should have raised a red flag given Pinkie's nature and the fact that a clone might have very well suggested it.
    I don't think the clones were clever enough to think of that...

I did feel sad that the magic mirror pond got blocked off at the end of the episode. All of the really cool stuff in FIM tends to get written out not long after it's introduced...

I have the same problem with Gravity Falls, they get rid of the cooler artifacts like the size-changing crystals or the body-swap rug and never think about using them for fun (they did land in trouble over them, but still)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

I did feel sad that the magic mirror pond got blocked off at the end of the episode. All of the really cool stuff in FIM tends to get written out not long after it's introduced...

I have the same problem with Gravity Falls, they get rid of the cooler artifacts like the size-changing crystals or the body-swap rug and never think about using them for fun (they did land in trouble over them, but still)
    The idea is that those things are too dangerous to be allowed to fall into the wrong hands...again...

Besides, it's not like the writers couldn't easily "undo" those things if they wanted to revisit one of the cooler artifacts!
    Well, my headcanon is that somebody fished the body-swap rug out of the garbage (not Gideon though)

There were plenty of size-changing crystals...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I like how this conversation on MLP just continues every time this thread is bumped.
  • edited 2014-04-07 17:50:58
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Anonus said:

I always found it kind of amusing that Fluttershy isn't seen again for the remainder of the episode (outside of the picture at the end)...

I don't think the clones were clever enough to think of that...
    Possibly, but it kind of begs the question as to why they didn't just quiz this Pinkie further if they realized she was more cognizant than the others.
    Anonus said:

Fans have reused the mirror pond at least. A somewhat popular artist basically created an OC by having Trixie use it and the end result was a much nicer version of her.

Odradek said:

I like how this conversation on MLP just continues every time this thread is bumped.

I read the cracked article. It seemed mostly pretty solid except for the last one (the Incredibles). I'm sure the other movies are kinda over simplifications as well, but this on was a tad more overt. 
    I thought about reusing the mirror pond's little cave in Paper Mario: A Pony Tale, where the vengeful Mirror Pinkies would be a miniboss standing between Mario and co. and the Pits of 100 Trials.
    A miniboss and then the Pit of 100 Trials? You are sadistic
    I kind of hate David Wong's attitude that millenials are stupid children who are entirely controlled by the media, unless he steps in.

Also isn't "accept a comforting lie over a harsh truth" ALSO the moral of that dumb piece on free will he wrote?

A miniboss and then the Pit of 100 Trials? You are sadistic

Well, the miniboss only needs to be fought once, then you can do whatever you please
    well, ok
    The Jetsons wasn't originally a "kids' show"

Neither was its forebear The Flintstones
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I seem to remember The Jetsons doing a storyline where they explored the space below the city, though that may have been in one of the 1985 episodes.
    I keep wanting to watch the '80s episodes because John K. worked on them

And I wonder if things like this made it in
    nobody wanted to see John K.'s George Jetson
    I kinda dislike John K.'s style, honestly
    It's a set of drawings from when he worked on the show

I just think it's funny because he knows George Jetson's character design and then messes with it for all of these outlandish-especially-for-Hanna-Barbera facial expressions
  • Where did they get the idea that Mulan's anti-men? The only guy who gets absolutely no slack is that one sneering government official

Where did they get the idea that Mulan's anti-men? The only guy who gets absolutely no slack is that one sneering government official

MRAs
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I love how half of those read way too deeply into the media they're talking about, to the point where the creators of those things wouldn't know what they were talking about if they somehow read this.
  • Odradek said:

Where did they get the idea that Mulan's anti-men? The only guy who gets absolutely no slack is that one sneering government official

MRAs
    How can you even read that into Mulan? It's like...I dunno...if someone looked at a movie about giant robots fighting monsters and interpreted it as a feminist masterpiece.