Heapers Hangout All Purpose Media Sharing Club

edited 2013-09-06 23:34:59 in General Media
This is a thread for coordinating times where we all hang out and watch media together, be it anime, movies, TV shows or whatever, so long as it's available on youtube (Though I am currently trying to find a site that has daily-motion or some other youtube alternative viewing capabilities).

Also, for choosing what shows and movies we want to watch.

Edit: I have found an alternate website that supports Dailymotion, Vimeo and custom embeds, so the sky is almost the limit for stuff we want to watch together now.

Here's the link: http://synchtube.6irc.net/r/HeapersHangoutAltJukebox

Comments

• Bumping this so that we can decide on what show we want to watch next and start looking for a good time to start the new show. It took me quicker than expected to upload the first season of The Big O to Dailymotion, so that's back on the table as a potential option, though Mononoke and House of  Five Leaves are also options (though I don't know if we need to allow some time for someone to upload Mononoke to Dailymotion or Vimeo before we can start watching it, which I'm willing and able to do).
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    The Big O sounds rad.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think that Mononoke is already on Dailymotion, but I am not 100% sure...
  • edited 2013-09-13 00:03:57

I think that Mononoke is already on Dailymotion, but I am not 100% sure...

You're right, the whole series is up there already. Though I might
    upload the 3 original episodes from Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales that
    inspired Mononoke so we can watch them along with Mononoke.
  • edited 2013-09-13 00:04:22

Edit: HH glitched and triple posted.
  • edited 2013-09-13 00:04:36

Edit: HH glitched and triple posted.
    ^^^ That would be great; I still have yet to see those.
  • ^^^ That would be great; I still have yet to see those.

They're pretty interesting actually. The basic format is the same, but there are slight subtle difference in the way they structure and tell the story that are really coll to watch. Plus, there's a very small reference to them in the series proper, which was cool. The actually story itself is the Bakeneko arc, but the story in the Bakeneko arc is radically different.
    You mentioned before that in addition to playing out very differently, the prototype for the Bakeneko arc takes place sometime during the Edo period where the later version takes place around the end of the Meiji period. There is something very interesting about that to me, beyond the obvious implications assuming that all are canon.
  • You mentioned before that in addition to playing out very differently, the prototype for the Bakeneko arc takes place sometime during the Edo period where the later version takes place around the end of the Meiji period. There is something very interesting about that to me, beyond the obvious implications assuming that all are canon.

Yeah, that's correct. It's really interesting to watch.
  • So anyway, are we still good to do this on Saturday or Sundays as a whole? That when I have the most free time.
    Yes, probably, although I cannot speak for everyone.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Saturdays and Sundays should be the best days for me going forward, too.
    Saturdays I can make.
  • Sat and Sun is ok for me, not that you asked.
  • Sat and Sun is ok for me, not that you asked.

Hey, the more the merrier. Glad you could (potentially) join us.

So, do we want to try to shoot for this weekend (aka tomorrow or sunday, depending) to start a new series or is this weekend bad for people?

Also, I figured we should do a quick vote for whether we want to start on Mononoke or The Big O. I mean, when we talked it about last week, every one seemed fine with either series, but I figured a vote would be the easiest way to pick something. Though if anyone has another show they want to recommend, feel free to bring that up too.
    Mononoke is shorter and divided into a number of smaller self-contained arcs, meaning that we can stop and start more easily without losing everyone. I say we run it before we tackle The Big O.
  • what're we doing?

Right now, either The Big O or Mononoke, but in the future, if there's any show you want to watch with everyone as a group, feel free to suggest it.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I would honestly prefer watching The Big O first, but I won't be mad if we end up watching Mononoke first instead.
    So, we have so far completed Mononoke, Samurai Champloo, The Big O and the first season of Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei together, in addition to screening Cat Soup and the third Madoka Magica film. What is next on our agenda?
  • So, we have so far completed Mononoke, Samurai Champloo, The Big O and the first season of Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei together, in addition to screening Cat Soup and the third Madoka Magica film. What is next on our agenda?

Let's see, The first season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone complex and all of One Outs are available on youtube, but I have to figure out what I'm gonna do about the Ghost in the Shell movies, since I'd prefer us watch the movies together before we watch the TV series (if only because that's how I was introduced to GiTS and I think it's a good viewing order), but it would take me three weeks to upload it to Vimeo. I'm one with uploading the second season of Sayonara Zetsubou sensei, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. I highly recommend One Outs (writing a review about it in my personal thread actually) but I'm not sure how much people would enjoy it. So yeah, I'm willing to take any suggestions people have at this point, especially for a series that's already been uploaded somewhere.
  • edited 2014-08-21 00:16:11

I think Simoun would make for an interesting group-watch, though I need to upload all of the eps first
    We could try out FLCL. I've already seen it, and I know others here have as well. I still think it brings enough to the table to be worth watching again, though.
  • edited 2014-08-21 00:18:04
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I've mentioned the idea of us watching Gravity Falls a couple of times during the group chats, so I might as well throw it out in the open now.
  • Crystal said:

We could try out FLCL. I've already seen it, and I know others here have as well. I still think it brings enough to the table to be worth watching again, though.

FLCL would be fun, but at least with some of their series, Funimation prevents embedding videos. I had the same problem with Funimation's upload of Samurai Champloo, so I'll have to test to see if those work.
  • edited 2014-08-21 00:21:34
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Shows that I would highly recommend from personal experience:
    - Paranoia Agent (Satoshi Kon, smart and beautifully constructed, sometimes hilarious/horrific)
    - Kaiba (Masaaki Yuasa, spooky and heart-rending, very Philip K. Dick meets Osamu Tezuka)
    - The Tatami Galaxy (Yuasa's masterpiece, basically super-uplifting yet also astoundingly droll)
    - Uchouten Kazoku (same author as the above, different director; amazing characters all over)
    - Wolf's Rain (Keiko Nobumoto rips out your heart with her mad writing skills)
    - RahXephon (so many comparison points with The Big O by the end that it would just be a perfect follow-up)

I've mentioned the idea of us watching Gravity Falls a couple of times during the group chats, so I might as well throw it out in the open now.

I'd be up for that, honestly.

Crystal said:

FLCL would be fun, but at least with some of their series, Funimation prevents embedding videos. I had the same problem with Funimation's upload of Samurai Champloo, so I'll have to test to see if those work.
    Hm, well that could prove to be an issue.

I would dig that.

Also, if we could get FLCL up it would take a night to watch, max, so I would be up for it. The dub is preferred here, however, given the pace of the show, although both casts are exceptional.
  • edited 2014-08-21 00:25:16

^^ I tried the first episode and it seemed to work fine, so we should be good for FLCL.

Shows that I would highly recommend from personal experience:

- Paranoia Agent (Satoshi Kon, smart and beautifully constructed, sometimes hilarious/horrific)
    - Kaiba (Masaaki Yuasa, spooky and heart-rending, very Philip K. Dick meets Osamu Tezuka)
    - The Tatami Galaxy (Yuasa's masterpiece, basically super-uplifting yet also astoundingly droll)
    - Uchouten Kazoku (same author as the above, different director; amazing characters all over)
    - Wolf's Rain (Keiko Nobumoto rips out your heart with her mad writing skills)
    - RahXephon (so many comparison points with The Big O by the end that it would just be a perfect follow-up)
    I would be interested in all of these shows.
    Also I want you all to watch the nineteenth episode of RahXephon with me so we can all bawl our eyes out in unison.
  • I've mentioned the idea of us watching Gravity Falls a couple of times during the group chats, so I might as well throw it out in the open now.

I would dig that.

Also, if we could get FLCL up it would take a night to watch, max, so I would be up for it. The dub is preferred here, however, given the pace of the show, although both casts are exceptional.
    I would agree about the dub personally, but as stated the sub is quite good too.
  • edited 2014-08-21 00:29:04
    We can do anything if we do it together.

I would dig that.

I would agree about the dub personally, but as stated the sub is quite good too.
    I would also prefer the dub, if only because that's how I first watched it.
    I have seen most of the dub and all of the sub. It is a wonderful experience either way.
    Actually, this "really strong dub" trend applies to most of the anime that I really like, with the exceptions of stuff like The Tatami Galaxy (no dub at all) or Utena (ehhhhh... it exists?).
  • edited 2014-08-21 01:02:18

Apparently, House of Five Leaves is on Dailymotion, so that's definitely an option for us to watch. Highly recommend that show.
    I have wanted to see that for a while.

I also have a list of things that I have not seen (or have yet to complete) but want to see/finish at some point and think would work nicely in a group setting. Shall I share a few?
  • I have wanted to see that for a while.

I also have a list of things that I have not seen (or have yet to complete) but want to see/finish at some point and think would work nicely in a group setting. Shall I share a few?
    Go for it, more suggestions are always welcome. I might be able to complete a few of those in the future.
    OK, here goes:
    - Kemonozume (Yuasa's first, and possibly his darkest and weirdest series)
    - Ghost Hound (concept by Masamune, written by Konaka, directed by Nakamura)
    - Bokurano (the least reassuring giant robot series ever conceived)
    - Dennou Coil (because it looks odd, relaxed, spooky and pretty)
    - Welcome to the NHK (because schadenfreude/"oh god, that could be me...")
  • edited 2014-08-21 01:21:02
    Oh, and Berserk is rad and we could also watch that. Forgot to put that on the first list. Also Serial Experiments: Lain. Not the easiest series, but we're all patient, smart peeps.

I also really want to see the rest of Noein, because I got one episode in, thought "another time," and... it went off Hulu. And then I was sad. That was a really weird first episode.
  • Oh, and Berserk is rad and we could also watch that. Forgot to put that on the first list. Also Serial Experiments: Lain. Not the easiest series, but we're all patient, smart peeps.

I also really want to see the rest of Noein, because I got one episode in, thought "another time," and... it went off Hulu. And then I was sad. That was a really weird first episode.
    Noein was weird. I got a part of the way in, but I never finished it.

But all of those shows are good options.
  • edited 2014-08-21 01:29:46
    Oh, and Naney reminded me that I still haven't seen Haibane Renmei, which looks great...

Too many things. Gotta be sensible here.

I vote for RahXephon if we're going for a longer show (26 episodes) and Kaiba for a short series (13).

^ If I'm not mistaken, it shares one of its lead writers with RahXephon and Star Driver. Yoji Enokido.
  • Oh, and Naney reminded me that I still haven't seen Haibane Renmei, which looks great...

Too many things. Gotta be sensible here.

I vote for RahXephon if we're going for a longer show (26 episodes) and Kaiba for a short series (13).
    Thank you for mentioning Haibane Renmei. I was trying to remember the name of that show.

I'm cool with whatever. Again I feel like I've monopolized the shows we watch a little too much. Though my personal vote is for House of 5 leaves.
  • edited 2014-08-21 01:37:12
    Wait, nope, Enokido didn't work on Noein, but he did write for those two (was head writer/concept guy on the latter), wrote the script to FLCL, wrote several stretches of Evangelion, and was show-runner on Ouran and Utena. Yes, really.

Now, Noein guy, that's Hiroshi Ohnogi. In addition to that and RahXephon he wrote Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne (which looks really interesting and really hard to watch) and ran series composition on FMA: Brotherhood.

Basically, RahXephon was a serious all-star project, writing wise.
  • So, does anyone want to try watching FLCL tomorrow or Sunday? I know people have expressed interest in Kaiba, but the only series that are fully uploaded,as far as I know, are FLCL and One Outs and I kind of want to sit this suggestion round out.
    I would be up for Sunday, so as not to conflict with Odradek's stream.
    Sunday would be preferable for me as well. Though, I'm not sure if I will even be making it, so I guess I'll see how things shake out.