Heap of Tunes of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

edited 2013-01-05 21:11:29 in General Media

It occurs to me that a place to talk about other people's music is probably a good thing to have.

Does anyone else here like Toro y Moi? 

edit;
Ground rules:

• only post embeds if they're relevant to the conversation or you're demonstrating something.
  • do not make overly inflammatory statements about artists/genres/fans/whatever.

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I technically already created this thread, but it ended up turning into a video-posting thread rather than a discussion thread and went under fast...

I've heard about Toro y Moi, but have never heard them. What are they like, would you say?
  • Well he (it's just one dude) is more or less the only chillwave artist to have survived that micro-genre's passing. They're still rather chillwave/glo-fi/whathaveyou, but they're pretty cool. It's a sort of laid-back electronic summery sound, really eclectic stuff.

He's also one of those producers who makes me feel bad because I feel like I'll never be this good. But on the other hand, Tyler the Creator has expressed on twitter that he feels similarly, so idk.

Tyler the Creator is a pretty talented individual, but I find his solo work repetitive and difficult to get into. He does what he does well, yes, but I'm not sure if I actually like what he does.

This being said, I will definitely check out Toro y Moi. Bright lo-fi electronics really appeal to me aesthetically, even if chillwave as a (supposed) genre/movement left me cold.
  • Tyler's a love it or hate it kinda dude.

I like what he does but I get why some people won't. 

Notably Toro y Moi did a remix for OddFuture once. I forget what track though, wanna say "French!".

That's a pretty nice backing track. I dig the whole hallucinatory blur thing it's got going on.
  • I'm not actually listening to that right now and have not heard it before, so funnily enough I don't actually know what you mean XD

However, Toro's third solo album (Anything in Return) recently leaked, some quick googling should nab you a copy, though be prepared to apply artist information and such manually, because the people at MuzikZip are dicks.

He called it his attempt at a pop album, and judging by the other album by him I've heard (his first, Causers of This), I'd say that's accurate in that it's more accessible than that one. Has a bit of an R&B element with the singing too, but it's not overly strong, 'cept maybe on "Cake". Overall it's honestly kinda similar to Frank Ocean's channel ORANGE speaking of Odd Future, though that influence probably goes both ways.

Interesting. I'll look into it.

Hmm... what are your opinions on Shackleton?
  • Afraid I am not familiar with them/him/her/it.
    He's one of the prototypical dubstep producers—having released his first record in 2002—and definitely one of the more interesting figures in the genre. His work is very understated and hypnotic, often surreal in tone, with lots of strange manipulated samples, eccentric rhythms and eerie, undulating sub-bass figures.

This is from a recent album of his.
  • Interesting. Yeah that sounds nothing like dubstep as we know it nowadays.

Cool stuff though, almost sounds like something you'd here in a Yume Nikki fangame. Though the thing he did with the bass kinda made my head hurt. I have sensitive ears unfortunately.

• edited 2012-12-20 05:46:17
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Dubstep used to be a heck of a lot dubbier than it is now. Hence the name, and why old-school fans hate the new stuff with such a passion. Granted, that particular album is less typical of the old style than his early work (which defined it), but it's still closer than modern dubstep.

(I actually don't dislike "brostep" in all circumstances, but it really isn't the same genre as its namesake. There are some transitional albums—the stuff that they used to call "wobblestep," for instance—but it's definitely something else.)

Old-school dubstep does have serious bass pressure, especially Shackleton's stuff. Not for the super-sensitive.

It's funny: I have really good hearing, but my sensitivity to high and low pitches is pretty low. I can hear them fine, but they don't upset me. The only things that really get to me are those ultra-high, ultra-loud frequencies like old televisions and whatnot, which drive me up a wall. (Also, styrofoam scraping. Ugh.)
  • I've heard that before, but I think this is the first time I've ever actually listened to any old dubstep.

On a completely perpendicular note, does anyone here listen to Bruce Springsteen? I feel he's sort of over-hated on, but I think a lot of his songs are really quite beautiful. "Atlantic City" in particular is one of the few songs--in any genre--that can actually make me cry.

• edited 2012-12-20 10:34:32

He's one of the prototypical dubstep producers—having released his first record in 2002—and definitely one of the more interesting figures in the genre. His work is very understated and hypnotic, often surreal in tone, with lots of strange manipulated samples, eccentric rhythms and eerie, undulating sub-bass figures.

This is from a recent album of his.
    :D

On the subject of Derbstep, Excision released his 2012 Shambala mix recently, it's pretty boss and has a boatload of cool unreleased tracks.

And no i don't listen to Bruce Springsteen.
  • Oh and I got Skrillex's Bangarang EP a while back.

It's not as bad as it seemed at first blush, and it's nice to see him go in new directions, but it's not very cohesive either.

Also this track is like really weird.
  • Does anyone here like more downbeat electronica and have any recommendations in that department? Thinking of stuff like old trip-hop, and also AIR, whose Moon Safari I am listening to at this very moment.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ^No, but as consolation, have a song* an ex masturbated to when high one time.

*It's kind of a song, maybe
  • Jacking-while-stoned music sounds like a good idea, so why not?
  • In other news.

Action Bronson's Blue Chips mixtape is pretty good. Honestly, Action himself is kinda forgettable, and his flow is highly derivative of Ghostface Killah's, but the production is bizarre and amazing. It's kinda lo-fi in a cool way, and there are a lot of cool samples.

• anyone out there?

Also does anyone here care for Exotica music?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-12-24 05:18:24
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Cream...is there a particular reason you're Touhouing in the music thread?
  • Central Avenue what kind of music do you like.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Lately I've been listening to stuff from musicals...
  • Huh.

I've never given much musical music (??) a listen.

That's a tough one...I'd probably say it's between Little Shop of Horrors and Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

You'll notice both were written by Alan Menken...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I wish I were more into musicals
    As far as musicals go, I'm mostly just a Sondheim fan.
  • As far as musical stuff goes, I've always liked the soundtrack to My Fair Lady. Not so much the musical itself, since I never really liked Pygmalion (found it really boring, to be honest), but the music is enjoyable. Especially in the original Broadway run, which had Julie Andrews singing.
  • So does anyone have a band where they like exactly one song by them, and nothing else?

Nothing I've ever heard from The Knife has struck me in the same way "Heartbeats" did.

• edited 2012-12-26 17:46:57

So does anyone have a band where they like exactly one song by them, and nothing else?

oh yes. often. prime example:

fantastic song. everything else i've heard from them has been very very unimpressive

• I like that guitar part off to the side in the beginning.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ^^Funny, I think that whole album is great. Have listened to it all over and over.
  • Producer I am acquaintances with named Spetalsk just dropped an incredible concept EP about Twin Peaks.

You need to listen to this.

• SO HEY GUYS I've been listening to The Orb a lot lately and wondered if anyone here was into them.

They're probably best known for "Little Fluffy Clouds".

• A Huge Ever Growing et cetera is one of my favorite songs.

I keep mixing them up with Orbital, though.
  • Orbital are the ones that toss Bon Jovi samples into their concerts.

They're awesome too, though.

• please don't spam youtube links without context.
  • it's a cool tune that i was listening to. i thought it was well composed and stuff.
  • but liek

what is it

who or what is Rodriguez Jr.

• tuplets

i love tuplets