Sredni Vashtar Posts Creepy Music

edited 2012-11-19 00:05:05 in General Media
To begin, a fantastic and little-known track by a fantastic and little-known band. (So begins a trend.)

To be listened to late at night, lights off, alone.

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Screw it. You need this and so do I.

Enjoy.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Obligatory.

That is a surprisingly effective and bizarre piece of incidental music. Odd choice for a Pokemon theme...
    This makes sense.

I can only imagine what a town set to chiptune-reworked Lustmord tracks would be like.
  • edited 2013-02-10 05:20:53
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

There is a funny anecdote to be had surrounding this song... but the song itself is quite the opposite.

You have been warned.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Who's the artwork by?  Reminds me of Mark Ryden a little, but i don't think it is.
  • edited 2013-02-10 05:26:43
    Trevor Brown. His stuff is... to use a Neil Gaiman phrase, "upsettling," and not always in a palatable way. Although I think that's the point. He did a lot of work for groups like Whitehouse and (as you can see) Venetian Snares.

This song utterly terrified me when I first heard it; thus, I was indoctrinated into the Coil cult post-haste.

• There is a funny anecdote to be had surrounding this song... but the song itself is quite the opposite.

You have been warned.

This song utterly terrified me when I first heard it; thus, I was indoctrinated into the Coil cult post-haste.

youre on a fucking boss run of music atm please keep this thread alive forever

all the children are dead is actually probably the best vsnares track

• if i may make a contribution

its 2am here and this track is terrifying me a lot

^^ Oh I will. And thank you.

^ A very worthy inclusion. I had never heard of this fellow before, but now I am surely going to check him out.

Speaking of ritualistic night musick:

These are the first two tracks of an album composed entirely on human bones. Setting that fact aside, this is still a wonderfully eerie, alien-sounding recording.
    And now for something utterly bizarre.

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    Is this a suitable contribution to this thread?

Very much so! "Harlem" would be fitting, too.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

That is a surprisingly effective and bizarre piece of incidental music. Odd choice for a Pokemon theme...

There are a few themes in Pokemon like that.

I really like that second one. The melody is highly reminiscent of certain late-period Coil tracks, what with the abundant descending Locrian scale figures. Which reminds me...

This song is markedly less (obviously) sinister on a sonic level than the previous tracks, but the ambiguous and incredibly bitter lyrical content definitely has an unsettling edge to it. The slow melodic build simply adds to the tension as the song goes on.
    And now for something completely different: A man that needs no introduction.

Three slow and terrible beasts to behold.
  • edited 2013-02-13 13:07:10

a bit hamfisted, but gorgeous nonetheless
  • edited 2013-02-13 13:17:02

and also

more anxious and tense than creepy, but unnerving nonetheless

looming malevolence is kinda a recurring thing in early dnb
    Looming malevolence is more than acceptable here; to that end, those tracks make fine contributions.

On that note, I've wanted to post this track here for a while now:

The coda to this song makes me think of a Gnostic hymn, sung by a choir of ill children.
  • edited 2013-02-13 13:42:21

It was only a matter of time before my lady-love showed up...
    Here's another contribution of mine. I hope y'all appreciate it.

Excellent song, although I always found "Don, A Man" more unsettling.
  • edited 2013-02-14 00:40:44

Obligatory, because of a long running in-joke.

• if there was a recording of it i would post Spooky Village

my little sister wrote it when she got this First Act guitar when she was like 6

and it was pretty great
    ^^ Called it.

But seriously, awesome song. Great album/EP series/thing, too. "Sweet Home Under White Clouds" is another classic of unease.

^ Colour me intrigued. Tiny guitars and spooky villages.

It's odd that I hadn't posted this one earlier. I suppose that it slipped my mind. Anyway, this album is quite the oddity: A truly surreal hybrid of tense post-punk, Dada sound experiments and ambient industrial dread. The fact that it manages to be thoroughly alien while still having recognisable instruments (and not being something like The Residents) is a feat in and of itself.

This song is, as far as I can tell, based around the climax of the film of the same name. If you know anything about the film in question, or the events that it was based on... well, yes.
  • ^ Colour me intrigued. Tiny guitars and spooky villages.
    i can tell you how to play it

you randomly pluck strings on the guitar, and the lyrics are

spoooookkkyyyy villiaaaaaggeeee

spoooookkkyyyyy villliiaaaaagggeeee

there is a girl in the spooky villiage
    Wunderbar.
  • that reminds me we have this fender acoustic guitar my dad stole from a meth lab and i never got around to learning how to play

• this belongs in this thread
  • edited 2013-02-14 10:48:31

also:

(*i can't see youtube on the right on this connection, but this should be one of Schnittke's piano quintets*)
    ^^ The intro is extremely ominous. Reminds me of another track, which I'll be posting next...

^ I have a friend that utterly adores Schnittke.
    Another man that should need no introduction, but probably does.

The recommendation that you listen to these tracks alone with the lights out is particularly applicable here.

Another master among the mad and depraved that some of you should already be well aware of. This track, in particular, is simply harrowing: A death mantra of five lines over an unrelentingly brutal and atmospheric background.
    I think I have a song that qualifies for this thread in the same way that Srendi's Wire song does:

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I don't normally think of Frank Zappa as a creator of "creepy" music, but I think this qualifies.

I realised that up to this point, this thread has seen a dearth of Ramleh. I shall rectify this.

Some explanation for the uninitiated: Ramleh were originally the power electronics project of a thoughtful, angry young Newcastle guitarist/vocalist by the name of Gary Mundy, who decided to offend a lot of people with tracks about genocide, exaggerated fascist rhetoric and general dickery—mainly to subtly make fun of Maggie Thatcher and actual fascists. When this started to get old (mainly because too few people actually got the joke), the music began to shift from pure noise to something... weirder, with the free improv elements of the earlier material half-mutating into Krautrock jam elements. Add on-off Whitehouse fixture Philip Best on vocals and electronics and the rhythm section of Skullflower, and you get instant industrial hell-rock gold.

Not everything that Ramleh released is great, but most of it is utterly terrifying, and I think that's a plus overall. Sadly, their classic stomper "Pristine Womankind"—Philip K. Dick references, ahoy!—is not on YouTube, but the raging evil of "Eight-Ball Corner Pocket" is, so there's that.
  • edited 2013-03-07 18:01:08

Oh jeez I meant to contribute to this thread a while ago

So my internet connection has improved and it might be worth reviving this, although I would advise against embeds for obvious reasons.
    Bringing this old chestnut back.

Final has a Bandcamp now. The early albums seem to be missing, but all the newer stuff is right here: https://final1.bandcamp.com/

To the unacquainted, Final was Justin Broadrick's first project, originally formed when he was 13. It began as a power electronics outfit of sorts—this early material can be heard on various compilations and the last track on the first album—but there was, from the outset, a dark ambient orientation that came to the fore when Broadrick revived the project years later. He coined the term "isolationism" (in a musical context) to refer to what he was doing with this project, and that certainly sums it up.

Oh, and here's a really long live track. It's appropriately desolate, and the cover to the album is splendid.

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    some of the embeds have died :(
    I know, and it is a shame.

I do remember that one of them is Coil's "Blood from the Air", which I can easily find another upload of.