Adventure Time

edited 2012-11-12 20:03:00 in General Media
Did anyone see the leaked episode? Good stuff.
Tagged:

Comments

• I did not.

I haven't seen Adventure Time on the actual TV since we last had cable which was....quite awhile ago.

I've seen a few episodes since then, though.

• Tonight's episode was full of frak.

I guess it was because I hadn't seen part 1 (tonight's was parts 2 and 3) but still. Good episode though, it was the good kind of mindfrak.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Adventure Time is generally the good kind of mindfrak, although sometimes it's just... well, mindfrak.

I'm going to go catch up on the new season on dubious streaming sites now...
  • My biggest problem with Adventure Time? The format spoils it. No good story can be told in eleven minutes.
  • Hence the two and three part episodes, one'd suppose.
  • Really? I think that it works well in the half-half hour slot, though admittedly it can be a bit tight for the story-centric episodes. (It Came From The Nightosphere is a perfect example of this; we already knew the story, but with 22 minutes it could flesh out Marcy and Hunson's father-daughter relationship a little better.)

Regular Show, however, was born to be 11 minutes long, though it's freaking epic at 22 as well.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Kextruct, you do realize that you're disparaging many, many short films, right?
  • I've been meaning to watch this series.
  • I've been meaning to watch this series.

eez gewd.

I only recommend the first season for comedy and character familiarization though, second season was where it got good.

• TreTre
    edited 2012-11-14 19:06:03
    The seasons all kind of blur to me, to be honest. Maybe it's just because they're always so close in proximity.

We're on season 5 now even though the show only premiered in 2010.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I've been meaning to watch this series.

Me too. Don't really know why I haven't yet...
  • Kextruct, you do realize that you're disparaging many, many short films, right?

Okay then, I'll adjust my wording. Eleven minutes isn't enough time to develop the sties Adventure Time tries to develop.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I do think Adventure Time could be better if it was a bit longer and more focused on plot and characters, but I'm generally satisfied with it as a whole. The 2-3 parter we just had was good wnough for me to accept silly episodes for a while.
  • There should totally be an Aventure Time tabletop RPG.

I tried looking for one but it seems like all the ones that exist are private homebrew systems and aren't publicly available.

• The sadness will last forever.
    My favorite episode is the gender bender episode.
    ^^Well, if you want an RPG with Adventure Time elements, you have D&D. A lot of Adventure Time stuff comes from that sort of thing. They even reference the alignment system in the show.
  • Yes, but that's still not an Adventure Time tabletop. I meant something using the game's setting and such.

You could probably make one with the d20 system (which would also be cool because as you said, D&D influences), but I don't know enough about the d20 system to do that.

Eh, you just need to be creative with the setting and flexible about what the rules are for things. The story and characters are still going to be around to deal with.
  • I do think Adventure Time could be better if it was a bit longer and more focused on plot and characters, but I'm generally satisfied with it as a whole. The 2-3 parter we just had was good wnough for me to accept silly episodes for a while.
    The silly episodes are the show's bread and butter, so it makes sense that they'd stick with this format.

Also, the remix they're using for the video game is still stuck in my head:

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    ohmylord it's the main theme as an actual full length song

so glorious
    I must purchase this video game.
  • what's this about a vidya gaem.

Also, this is technically a cover

/pedantry

• oh

ok.

I didn't know this was happening.

Hopefully it'll actually be good on account of the creators' love of video games.

• also available on the 3ds by the way
    Did you guys see this week's episode? It seemed like a good parallel to shippy fan-fics.
  • The level of awkward found in this week's episode went through the roof.

Still funny though, if only because seeing Finn as an insane shipper was pretty hilarious. (The fapping euphemism was a bit weird though.)
    I didn't even think of the idea of shaking = fapping until I saw it on /co/.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What is it with this show and royalty, anyway? A zillion princesses, an Ice King, Marceline the Vampire Queen...
  • edited 2014-01-27 17:36:41
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it's a sort of quasi-heroic fantasy thing

so it comes with the genre i guess
    It just makes me wonder about how all these monarchies work, though perhaps I'm overthinking it
  • edited 2014-01-27 17:40:12
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Strictly speaking, the ruler of a sovereign principality is a prince or princess, although many other languages distinguish between a crown prince and a sovereign prince. In the case of the Land of Ooo, I assume that most are sovereigns of small domains. The exceptions seem to be either rulers of broader domains (Lumpy Space Princess' parents) or of powers that extend beyond normal territorial boundaries (Marcelline, the Ice King).

Which is not to say that it isn't a riff on heroic fantasy tropes—it certainly is—but that there does seem to be an internal logic to it.
    That makes sense
    Die Landesfürstin Bubblegum.

Die Prinzessin von Lumpy Space.
  • Ol' Witch of The Rake
    I am bringing this back.

I just saw "Food Chain" and am more baffled than usual.

It reminded me more of a surrealist short film than anything and seems to have basically nothing to do with Adventure Time as a whole.
    Are you familiar with Masaaki Yuasa's other work? Because that episode is sort of like David OReilly's "A Glitch is a Glitch" in that it is very much in his personal style and it helps to know what that is.
  • Not in the slightest, don't even know who they are.
    Well then.

Odradek will be showing Cat Soup tomorrow night, and our little informal media club might be watching Kaiba next week. Those are as good as any places to start, although Kaiba is probably more definitive.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    Cat Soup is Yuasa? did not know that

He was the co-writer and animation director; Tatsuo Satou of Martian Successor Nadesico fame was the other half of the equation. Apparently he had been in talks with Nekojiru about adapting her work before her death, although the frame story is based on a short piece of hers only published posthumously.

the mini stories in the Adventure Time comics can get a little weird at times.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    möbius strips are cool tho
    ^^ That is absolutely beautiful in style and content.
  • Breaking Time with Finn, Jake and PB :p

the mini stories in the Adventure Time comics can get a little weird at times.

Oh my Lord, is that Paul Pope?
    I am halfway through the fourth season now. It is indeed really good, and continues to get better.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    where are you watching it?
    By questionable means.