U.S. Route 62 appreciation thread

edited 2012-11-04 23:44:11 in General

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I think that's all I've got...
    Oh wait, a few more.

This one inadvertently omitted the US 62 shield:

...so the sign on the right had it hastily added on after the fact:
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Corner of Flint and US 62

same intersection, back a bit

same intersection, at night. You can barely make out 62 on the traffic signal
    I just remembered that one of the pages in my 11.975MHz compilation is a photo of a highway that I took a few years ago, on my way to grab some beer (I was living in Brownfield at the time, 30 miles south, and Brownfield was dry at the time) and used it as a chapter divider. That's 62 as well
    Ooh, neat! I like the 62 shield on the "19th" sign, I wish they did stuff like that around here.

Also, I just remembered something amusing: ODOT considers US 62 an east-west highway while the city of Columbus considers it a north-south highway. So there's at least one spot in the city where an "EAST 62" sign is followed, not a half a block later, by a "NORTH 62" sign.
    Really? I wonder if highways on the whole #2 and ##2 are allowed to be that versatile in regards to direction
  • edited 2012-11-05 00:35:59
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Supposedly even-numbered US routes are meant to be east-west, but it gets a little wonky in Ohio because up until the early '80s routes that don't fit easily into the grid (like 62) were posted with diagonal directions like "N-EAST" and "S-WEST".

Once they stopped doing that they basically started making up their own rules, which is why US 42 and US 68 in Ohio are posted as north/south and US 33 in Ohio is east-west.
  • you know who could salve this problema

templecat

oh, I see. Well 62 does make one hell of a shot along the north-south axis if you think about it, it starts in El Paso and ends at Niagara Falls
    Yep, you could certainly make an argument either way. Especially for the parts in Ohio and New York.

Even more so whenever you consider the how it's oriented on the globe proper and not a flat, laid-out make like we have here. 
    This jar of raw honey that I bought a while back to sweeten my tea came from Idalou, TX (about 20 miles NE of here) and it states Highway 62 right on the label. 

What a highway
  • edited 2012-11-08 02:39:34
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Oh god, raw honey. That stuff is like AWESOMENESS in a jar.

Also, I was on 62 in New Albany the other day and I noticed that they have a half dozen or so detour signs showing a State Highway 62 marker instead of a US Highway marker. Idiots.

(There's another such error in the second image I posted in this thread)
  • edited 2012-11-08 02:46:19
    Also I'm trying to remember the last place I bought raw honey from, because I know it was in the general vicinity of US 62 and it would be hilarious if it was actually on 62.

But I can't remember the name of the place and Mother seems to have thrown the jar away...
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this is not a standard sign typeface:

This one's better, but I literally just noticed that they used a different street name despite this only being a block away from the other sign:

And now an assortment of shields:

• edited 2012-11-09 20:00:16
    Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this is not a standard sign typeface:

How does this even happen
  • edited 2012-11-09 20:56:02
    New Albany is like a grab bag of badly-rendered "upscale" street signs

Some of them aren't even reflective:

Half this stuff almost looks like a parody of the kind of style they were going for:

This one in particular gets a special mention for being so small it's nearly impossible to read from a car unless you already know what street you're looking for:

Everything in those pictures looks cheap and new, down do the paint jobs on the poles and posts.

New Albany is one of them overnight housing bubble suburbs that appeared overnight, isn't it?
    Haha, I'd been paying so much attention to the bad lettering that I didn't even notice the peeling paint on the post!

New Albany is kinda strange--20 years ago it was one of those little "still-pretending-we're-rural" towns on the edge of the county, but then Les Wexner of all people moved there and suddenly it became a massive display of suburban sprawl and conspicuous consumption.

So...yes, it kinda is. 

a massive display of suburban sprawl and conspicuous consumption.

This is why, whenever I go to set up a home, it will be far out in the country

the whole CONSUME BUY CONSUME BUY is disheartening as hell and these places embody that sort of empty existence 
  • I like living in the city.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I live in the suburbs, but it's in an older neighborhood that does not have an HOA. If there's anything that epitomizes bitchy status-symbol-ism,it's fucking HOAs. If you're going to tell people how to live their lives, go all the way and get a town charter, you assholes; don't half-ass it just because you're a haughty punk who insists on making all the houses look like model homes.
  • There used to be a Palmerton HOA, but they were actually disbanded last year.

A frankly hilarious (and I'd be unsurprised if it were true) rumor has it that this is because they were pestering the mayor to keep his lawn mowed too often.

• Honestly I don't think i could stand living in the suburbs.
    I fucking hate HOAs and that's another reason to live out in the sticks
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Oh jeez, I remember the horror stories you told about them a few months ago. Weren't they the people who pestered you to mow your steeply-sloped, several-feet-above-the-road lawn?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Heheheh. That sounds like something a busybody HOA would do. :P Around here, they only complain about the grass when it starts looking like a wheat field. And considering that the subprime crash hit this county pretty hard, there were a lot of houses like that here...
  • > 2012

> Lawns

ishygddt
  • Oh jeez, I remember the horror stories you told about them a few months ago. Weren't they the people who pestered you to mow your steeply-sloped, several-feet-above-the-road lawn?

Yes.

But like I said, disbanded.

To the sadness of literally no one.

But like I said, disbanded.

To the sadness of literally no one.

Except to the busybody stay-at-home housewives who are the most cacophonous elements of any HOA
  • How is this different than "literally no one"?
    Our HOA technically still exists, but they don't really do anything because nobody will pay them and they lack the authority to make people pay them.

How is this different than "literally no one"?

I stand corrected

Our HOA technically still exists, but they don't really do anything because nobody will pay them and they lack the authority to make people pay them.

This gives me a nice warm feeling inside.