Sincerity Mode here, this is important

Comments

• edited 2012-09-04 22:57:42
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-09-04 23:20:51
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Karine Coenen mentions in one of her DeviantArt journals how, despite universal healthcare in Belgium, her insurer seems to be able to legally withhold treatment for her just because she is behind on her payments.  Even employers reject her because of her disease, and she can’t expect any help from her abusive family. 

I'm not trying to be the asshole here but this sounds like complete bullshit. I'm gonna ask a few of my friends about this. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Yeah but the thing is I really have my doubts that any nation of the EU would withhold care from a terminally ill patient. I honestly don't know, though. Any of you folks living in that part of the world care to enlighten us here?
    Why is an insurance company involved when the healthcare there is universal?  I thought that was the big thing over there.  I'm gonna have to wait until someone over there who knows what's actually up gives us the 411.
    Yeah, but that still doesn't explain the situation here. Like I said, I really, really doubt that anywhere in the EU health system that they'd withhold treatment on a terminal cancer case.  That's something that would spark a scandal and international outrage. 
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Universal doesn't mean free and most countries in Euroland use a system where a person has to pay up first through their private health insurer and then get their money back from the gubbermint. (I think).

IIRC, Only the UK uses an entirely tax-payer funded healthcare system.

But would they actually withhold on a terminal cancer case? I could see them doing so on something minor and non-life-threatening but I have a hard time believing they'd kick someone out in the cold who's dying of cancer. We don't even do that here in America with our private health care system.
  • Worst that happens: You get suckered out of some money

Best that happens: You help save someone's life

Worst that happens: You get suckered out of some money

Best that happens: You help save someone's life

And if this is a scam, it's the first time it's ever happened and will never happen to anyone else. Got it
    Let me put it this way: if there really is a person terminally ill with cancer in a nation that's a part of a union that has universal healthcare and they're denying her, either this person is running a scam or Belgium is doing something incredibly shitty that they need to answer for. Like I stated above, even with how Zombie Reagan has described the system working, I really doubt that they'd treat a terminally ill cancer patient like that; and people need to be asking questions about this sympathy drive on DA. 
  • I mean, even if it is a scam, you lose money.
  • ....not....really.

More often what happens is that people pay for the treatment and either it ends up not working (few cancer treatments are, as far as I know, anywhere close to 100% effective) or they die of complications resulting from the treatments.

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    That and there's a lot of quack cancer remedies that will never work, but are very expensive (the better to enrich their purveyors, of course).
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

But would they actually withhold on a terminal cancer case? I could see them doing so on something minor and non-life-threatening but I have a hard time believing they'd kick someone out in the cold who's dying of cancer. We don't even do that here in America with our private health care system.

The NHS has been known to deny treatments for terminal cases if they are like ridiculously expensive or not very cost-effective but thats because NICE has to look after the public purse.

I dont know about the private health insurance companies of Mainland Europe.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    It has been verified that this is real.  Those at Twitter, Tv Tropes, Deviantart, and Tumblr have made inquiries into it.  Paperwork, cross-references, and everything.

This has been verified objectively by third parties.
    Aliroz_ said:

It has been verified that this is real.  Those at Twitter, Tv Tropes, Deviantart, and Tumblr have made inquiries into it.  Paperwork, cross-references, and everything.

This has been verified objectively by third parties.

Good, then if you could please cite exactly where this proof is on display. Like I said, I know I'm coming off like a dick here but "those at Twitter, TV Tropes, DeviantArt, and Tumblr have made inquiries" are about as credible as emails from Nigeria promising millions in return for a "tiny" investment. I'd also like to know who these "objective" third parties are and their statements regarding this whole deal. 

This has all the hallmarks of a textbook sympathy scam and before anyone here spends any of their money, they deserve to know if it's legit or not. Your word saying that it is without citing anything is not enough here. 
  • edited 2012-09-28 02:03:40
    There's some photos of brain scans on her website:

No real proof that they're her photos, though. I'm especially suspicious about how she backed out a bit after the donation thing got big -- if she were a scam artist, it'd be like she got nervous about being caught or felt guilty about scamming so many people who passionately believed she was at death's doorstep... but I'm just skeptical towards people online who need large sums of money quickly, especially ones in, hrm, communities with a lot of oddballs. But I just tend to be a bit skeptical about things in general.

I also doubt she's lost as much weight as she claims she has from her cancer, and is really working so hard and all that, as she's taking medication for type II diabetes. Not that all people with type 2 are lazy, but excercise and diet changes can fix it and get rid of that expensive medication and all those appointments!  Although my kind of diabetes is type I (and how I know she has type 2, we can only take insulin), I've heard plenty of things about how it affects people with the other kind. It kinda shocks me how many kinds of medications she can take and afford but not get any treatment at all for her cancer... Belgium must be a weird place.

I really don't care about the topic, I'm just bored... sorry
  • Her art seems nice, if a bit... shiny.

But god that website burns my eeeyyyyyyyyessssssssssss
  • edited 2012-09-28 02:12:15
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    There are other charities.

A good rule to follow is to do research before giving. Some are a lot more efficient than others, and some have disagreeable methods.

Not that I would want to discourage people from being charitable.