Let's Play Pokemon Genesis!

edited 2012-08-16 02:22:20 in Liveblogs

If I end up skipping too much or posting too many images, tell me. This is the first time I've done a Let's Play in this format

Now, this Let's Play is going to be like Lazuli's in that you guys tell ME what to catch! I'll try to find a list of all the Pokemon on each route, in each cave, etc. Failing that, I'll... Think of something. And it will be a GOOD something! And you'll LIKE it!

...Dear god I can already see this Let's Play going up in flames Now, let's begin, shall we?

Glad to meet you too for the umpteen millionth time!

You'd think that, after all these years, Oak would figure out how to identify someone's sex

No. I told you a completely random name to confuse your feeble old person mind and steal all your hard candy while you're dazed

You'd also think he'd remember his grandson's name. I was lazy and chose Max because why the hell not?

I feel as if my hair should also have red and yellow in it and that I should believe in the heart of the cards...

Glad to see that that's still there

Now, let's go downstairs and great our lonely, likely widowed mom who never sees her husband ev-

What

imageimageimage

Alright, but back to that being my dad and not a dead beat part?

A loving father? What's next? Having access to grass with no Pokemon in my party?

...You've got to be fucking... Well, it's not like there are any Pokemon in it, right?

wut

...Long story short, I lost some cash after handling an Eldritch Abomination so pathetic that a stiff breeze knocked it out

Oh good, the professor! Somebody to save me from this madne-

imageimage

...A nice Gary?

Fuck this shit. I'm out of here (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pr-protection?

Lend me what? A condom?

Woah, Max, this is... This is all moving so fast! I... I never knew you had those feelings for me! I mean, this is all so sudden and-

...Oh. Nevermind

So guys, your choices are Mareep, Trapinch, and Spheal

When I continue tomorrow afternoon, I'll choose the one with the most votes. Don't forget to suggest a name!

~~~~~

Options:

Mareep (FUCK YEAH ELECTRIC SHEEP!)
Trapinch (FUCK YEAH DRAGONFLY DRAGON!)
Spheal (FUCK YE-...Uh... Fuck... Fuck yeah living beach ball?)

And so ends post 1 of this horrible, horrible Let's Play!

Comments

• TRAPINCH TRAPINCH I SAID DO IT DO IT I WILL YES TRAPINCH

also name him Smaug.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ ...Your love of Trapinch makes up for the lack of zombie fairies
  • Trapinch is the best Pokemon in Gen III.

One of, anyway.

Sadly I did not know that for a long time because it was not until I started using the internet regularly that I learned it evolved into Flygon.

• Electric sheep?

...I'm tempted to vote for that but I have no idea how good a Pokeyman it is.
  • Also, while there's only one more of them.

inb4 flood of Heapers' Hangout Pokemon LPs.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Somebody needs to do Bloody Platinum

Just because death. Death everywhere
  • Whelp, that will be a trend I probably won't be part of!

(At least not in the actually playing parts.)
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ You WILL do a Pokemon Let's Play, and you WILL like it!
  • edited 2012-08-16 10:46:04
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I will also vote for Trapinch. Sure, having a Dragon Pokémon is a little cliché, but Flygon's a pretty cool guy. Now if only I could actually try one out in-game...
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I'll go get Trapinch a bit later today (you guys have good taste)

Also, I can't find a list of Pokemon in each area, so I'll try getting into a bunch of wild battles each route to give you guys options

Also also, I found out that the hack isn't 100% complete, but I don't know where it will end =/
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    So, uh, the game crashes when I look at attacks in the overworld

Took a bit before I figured that out

Well then
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Ok, so from what I can tell, there is a faulty script in the first town and first few areas

In other words, WHEE! x.x
  • edited 2012-08-16 19:20:01
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ...Actually, I wonder if the ROM itself has issues... Smaug started with no attacks, and a bug catcher's wurmple knew no attacks either (nor did Max's Spheal. STRUGGLE! STRUGGLE ALL THE THINGS!)

May have to do some replaying if this is the case

Hell, I can't even pause in the first town (which is... Special...)
  • edited 2012-08-16 19:23:04
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Yeah, I feel you there. I got the "Final Version" of the game to try it out, and it is likewise glitchy. There were three things that stood out to me:

Whenever the rival showed up on screen, my sprite would turn a weird monochrome grey.

Like in your game, our starter Pokémon didn't have any attacks at all. All we could do was Struggle each other to death, and I'm pretty sure the only reason I won was because my Trapinch (yes, I got one too) had an Oran Berry.

When I was going along the route to the second town, which to my surprise actually has trainers, I figured I should go back to my house and heal. Going through the door to my house spit me out in a cave on a completely different part of the map, and I was trapped inbetween a bunch of trainers. That's when I ragequit.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ ...Oh, this is going to be FUN! 8D
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ...Well, I tried to make it through

...I lost 64 poke to a bug catcher

Why?

His Silcoon had fucking QUICK ATTACK and ABSORB!

What kind of bullshit game...?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ...Yeah, this is the game of heapers
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Once I get back to the center, I'm making my next post

And the Trapinch learned Psybeam

There goes my last hope of this game making any god damn sense
  • edited 2012-08-16 20:22:51
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗

Where we left off!

Yes we did. And Max changed his clothes and I didn't go and update the rom at all because I had the wrong version or anything! (...Although I might downgrade for a bit until things make sense... ;.;)

Bet it will be Spheal

HAH! YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR OVERWORLD SPRITE AND YOUR NAME, BUT YOU CAN'T HIDE WHO YOU TRULY ARE, GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK!

Yes. Now shut up

Poor Smaug has no attacks :<

TAKE THAT, YOU FAT TUB OF... Beachball... Uh...

...Yeah

I don't think the Spheal is very smart, guys

OH LOOK THEY MOWED THE GRASS AND I TOTALLY DIDN'T UPGRADE TO THE NEWEST VERSION OF POKEMON ORIGINS NOSIREE!

Huh. Good thing that there is an empty path right to the right of m-

...It's never that easy, is it?

Smaug learned his first attack! I'M SO PROUD!

...Even though they start with Bite...

...And shouldn't be forced to use Struggle under normal circumstances...

...Why me? ;.;

Dude. I have only one attack. I couldn't go easy on you even if I wanted to

STRUGGLE PARTY!

YOU GET TO STRUGGLE! AND YOU GET TO STRUGGLE! AND YOU GET TO STRUGGLE!

EVERYBODY GETS TO STRUGGLE!

Ok, the trainer is a bit tougher than I thought

Thank god I have my secret weapon!

Mmm... Spray bottle goodness...

...Said the hack creator when trying to make this mess

Stan is going to be our new go to guy whenever the Hack Creator or I screw up!

...Or maybe not. That joke could get old quickly

...Wait. Does this... Does this mean I actually mugged a little kid?

One quick check of Smaug's moves later and-

...Are you fucking kidding me? At least I saved THIS time (By the way, I learned there are Spearow, Sentret, and Rattata on this route)

Ah, home sweet home. Time to heal up, marvel at how I have a father, and-

...I feel distinctly fucked

One embarrassing defeat to a Quick Attack using Silcoon later (...How does a cocoon do that anyways...?)

Taken in the heat of battle with some little girl I beat the shit out of for her meager lunch money

Finally there! Now to pick up the package!

Note: I never find the package. The lab requires cut to get to. I may look into using walk through walls and a map editor to fix this... Ugh...

...Fuck you good sir. I am going to go into my house and to Veric Canyon JUST to spite you!

YAY SEQUENCE BREAKING!

I have the distinct feeling the hack maker may have been drunk...

...Why do you hate me?

So, I can't buy Pokeballs. The Gym Leader is nowhere to be found. The lab is blocked by a tree. My house can teleport me out of a cave

And my Trapinch has developed psychic powers

...Yeeeeeaaaaaaahhh...
  • Perhaps removing the "Directed by David Lynch" credit wasn't such a good idea.

Look, if you start encountering talking rabbit-men. Write down what they say, it makes sense and is helpful, but they speak sentence fragments out of order.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Encounter talking rabbit-men?

...What the fuck am I playing?
  • No see that was a joke, and a Dave Lynch reference.

Go look for "David Lynch's rabbits" on Youtube.

Or y'know

don't

if you don't like not being able to sleep.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Ah, ok then

I'm going to go grab a map editor and try to fix the game a bit. I can handle not pausing in areas. But being unable to get the first badge and jumping all over and gragh?

No
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    A quick dive in shows that Trapinch

...Has no moves. It's pulling moves from somewhere else

I'm scared ;.;
  • edited 2012-08-16 20:43:23
    i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    what. how is that a thing.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Ok... Either YAPE is wrong, or it says here that Makuhita can learn Flamethrower, Snorunt Earthquake, and Gardevoir Dragon Rage and other attacks that essentially make it Rayquaza reborn

I'm just going to step away quietly from the editor...
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    is this game one of them creepypastas i've heard about
  • edited 2012-08-16 20:53:47
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ I don't know ;.;

Guys, if I die, remember

It's Lazuli's fault for not getting a Zombie Fairy

Also, it turns out I was right and the parcel IS in that blocked off lab! Which means I need to locate Advance Map so I can erase that tree and point the house back to where it should go
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Remember, if the Lavender Town music starts playing at any point, you should stop and wonder why most of these evil games never pick any other music to creep you out. Personally, I think the intro of the Mt. Pyre theme is scarier.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Ok, so I used Advance Map to move the damn tree and fix the warp

I'd fix move sets too if I knew how things would get affected
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I figured out that the moves get wonky around where Pokemon got added

So from now on I'll use Advance Map to check the Pokemon in an area, and fix any third gens I find
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Ok, I fixed the level up moves

And in commemoration of this event, I changed the Pokedex entry for Trapinch:

• edited 2012-08-16 21:44:54
    Yay! It's awesome that you were able to fix up the glitchy stuff.

I was actually kind of curious to see how the story goes. Judging from the description, it seems they were going for "Shin Megami Tensei in the Pokémon world."
  • edited 2012-08-16 22:22:00
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Oh, by the way, vote now for the Pokemon you want from Route 1!

Sentret
    Zigzagoon
    Pidgey
    Spearow
    Hoothoot
    Ledyba
    Spinarak
    Rattata
    Pidgey
    Taillow 1

In order from most common to most rare on the route
  • edited 2012-08-16 22:02:16
    Out of those, I'm leaning towards Taillow. Swellow's also a pretty cool guy. And even if they don't make it on our active team, they can still be our personal airplane.

Ledyba being on that list reminds me that I'd actually like one for myself if they made them a little stronger. I have a little soft spot for ladybugs, and Ledyba is adorable. Too bad it's not that special compared to other Bug-types.
  • edited 2012-08-16 22:26:35
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Whichever one has the most votes by tomorrow will be the one I catch

...Like I'd need another Pokemon with a level 12 Trapinch that has spontaneous Psychic powers. I mean, sheesh, he could probably make trainers jump off a cliff!

EDIT: I would try the three vote rule but the sheer number of Pokemon is yeah

In the meantime, I'll get the lists for the next few areas so there is no pausing for long periods to gather votes
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Feel free to vote on these places as well

Veric Canyon:

Spearow
    Pidgey
    Aipom
    Mankey
    Nidoran M
    Nidoran F
    Jigglypuff
    Pineco
    Phanpy

Mt. Berous:

Whismur
    Geodude
    Mankey
    Zubat
    Machop
    Dunsparce (Yay!)
    Nosepass

Second Floor:

Zubat
    Geodude
    Mankey
    Makuhita
    Onix
    Diglett
    Aron
    Phanpy

Herus Path:

Spearow
    Seedot
    Ledyba
    Hoppip
    Oddish
    Wurmple
    Mankey
    Ekans
    Chikorita (!!!)

Munis Lakeside

Lotad
    Oddish
    Silcoon
    Natu
    Bellsprout
    Cascoon
    Azurill
    Caterpi
    Weedle
    Pineco
  • edited 2012-08-17 01:51:26
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Did some more futzing around (changing some evolutions - Sorry, but there was no need to change Poliwhirl's evolution into Poliwrath. Also deleting some doubles of moves where needed to make more room for attacks for the third generation as, well, yeah), when I found out something:

A Pokemon can only have 5 branch evolutions. Espeon was kicked out for Leafeon D:

Nuuu Poor Espeon :<

Also, looking like Taillow will win this one. Still the other routes though!
  • Dunsparce (Yay!)

acquire Dunsparce

win at everything forever.

Also this seems to be more of a Lets Fix than a Lets Play so far.

Also fuck you, Lily White is amazing.

• edited 2012-08-17 09:56:13
    Argh! So many choices...

I'll put in a vote for Dunsparce. With our pudgy snake, we can gleefully paralyze our way to victory!

I'll think about the other guys I want for now. But on another subject:

Sorry, but there was no need to change Poliwhirl's evolution into Poliwrath.

Do you mean they changed it so that Poliwrath doesn't come from a Water Stone? That sounds a little weird. What did they change it to?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Poliwrath with higher attack than defense, Politoad with high defense than attack

I changed it to Water Stone and Happiness respectively (although if it works, I'll try making it so King's Rock works like an evolution stone)

^^ The best damn Let's Fix on this forum!
  • acquire Dunsparce

win at everything forever.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Next update coming soon. Over 100 pictures taken!

...So I have to go pick and choose now. EVERY single picture I took in the gym battle will be posted, however!
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Also, I love how you guys tend to choose the exact same Pokemon I get excited about 8D
  • edited 2012-08-17 20:16:40
    Well then, let's see if my next proposal also lines up with that.

I know it's a little cliché to pick a starter, but I kinda want you to catch Chikorita. Admittedly, he (or she as the case is 12.5% of the time) isn't my most favorite starter, but he needs more love.

As for a nickname, I'm thinking of something tea-themed. How about Oolong?
  • I'd vote for Bellsprout. Just because Victreebell is a fucking beast.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Funny you should mention that, Lazuli. If Icamirjde didn't want to catch Chikorita, Bellsprout would be my second choice for a Grass-type.